• Page:

TOPIC: Flywheel puller?

Flywheel puller? 13 years 3 months ago #33308

• jim18611865
  • jim18611865's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Where can I buy an appropiate puller for a 71' 7.5 HP?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Flywheel puller? 13 years 3 months ago #33358

Well,...Since no one has responded with a lead to where to purchase a flywheel puller for the lil Merc 7.5,...I will explain how I remove the flywheel.
Granted I will probably get chastised for suggesting such tactics,...But it is how I've been doing it for 50+ years without damaging anything.
I loosen the flywheel nut, backing it off until the top of the nut is flush with the top of the crankshaft's threads.
Then I have a pal armed with a 'Wonder Bar' (fancy term for a crow-bar) locate a place on the top of the engine block that he can use to pry off and put the end of the pry tool under the outer edge of the flywheel (be careful not to put the end of the tool under too far or it will be prying up on the magneto plate - not the flywheel)
Also being careful when choosing the point on the engine block to pry on so you won't be prying on some sort of small aluminum casting, etc that will easily break off when the pry is applied.
Now,...With your pal on the pry tool and ready to apply a firm steady pry designed to lift the flywheel when he sees you swing your hammer,...You put a brass bunyan or other soft metal type item on top of the flywheel nut and give it a stout smack straight down with your hammer.
If your pal is prying at the right time and your smack with the hammer is stout enough,...The flywheel will pop loose.
Then remove the nut and lift off the flywheel - keeping a close eye on the key in the side of the crankshaft's tapered area as it likes to fall out and hide.
Now that you're in the ignition, which I'm betting is due to no spark,...You may find that the points look horrible - all corroded and nasty. If so,...You are most likely looking a 'Maker points' not 'Breaker points'.
I'm not sure just which ignition you will be confronted with without a serial number.
Anyway - IF they are maker points you don't need to polish them - they're fine and the problem is commonly that the white plastic insulator blocks that separate the points' wire out to the switchbox is cracked and the spark is going to ground through the evil lil insulator blocks.
They will be what you'll need to replace.
If you find that you have a common old school magneto under the flywheel you will most likely just need to polish the points and be done - if the coils aren't cracked or swollen, etc.
Thom

Re:Flywheel puller? 13 years 3 months ago #33408

• jim18611865
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well thanks for the response.
Serial # 3181847.
I may not need to pull it after all.
I was able to verify 400+ VAC from the stator. I have contact (open/closing) while slowly rotating the flywheel.

I started looking around. I noticed some glue on one of the coils. No glue on the other, but a broken wire. Now if I can find the coils.
Orig # 336-3955
Possible choices
336-4409
336-4528T

Sierra 18-5186 (I hope this one because it is cheap and readily available.)
The Sierra chart skips my serial #
Thanks
Jim

Re:Flywheel puller? 13 years 3 months ago #33423

I agree,...It looks like for whatever reason that Sierra coil doesn't cross to the Merc one for your motor (MM# 336-4409A4).
I wonder if it is solely due to the external ground wire-vs-ground strap design - which is better IMHO.
If you or someone has the time and manuals required to cross the coil figures between the one you need and the more common one found on the adi inline-6 'perhaps' the Sierra coil would work.
If you find that the oozing glue in the one coil isn't the cause (and it could very well be),...The insulator blocks that most commonly cause loss of spark in this ignition are item number 16 on the parts breakdown page for your 75 on the page for 'flywheel, stator, ignition coil'.
If you find that the common adi inline-6 coil will work and want to use a good used coil rather than spend the bucks I've got a lot of them.
Have you tried swapping coil wires around to see if you can narrow the problem down to the one suspect coil?
Thom

Re:Flywheel puller? 13 years 3 months ago #33431

• jim18611865
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It wasn't oozing glue. Someone tried to repair the wire.
It looks like 336-4409 is available, just pricy.
Also I believe 336-4528T is a valid cross reference as well.

Thanks for the help I appreciate it!

Note; The Sierra charts indicate this foot note for the 7.5 HP engines. Phelon Magneto only! This is for the 18-5186 coil.

Jim

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online