Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1966 Merc 1100 SS ??

1966 Merc 1100 SS ?? 13 years 3 months ago #33066

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The stars were aligned and I took the PCat for its maiden voyage on the Erie Canal, speed limit, what speed limit officer haha.Well I got to test the steering out as the ditch was filled with 3 weeks worth of rain laden logs from everything that feeds into it.Anyway when I returned to the ramp she wouldn/t idle and was hard starting. Had to lift the idle all the way and hit the choke once to get it to fire.seemed to have a slight hestitation to it almost like a miss but not quite.Ran up to 6G and then a lot more,maybe 63/6500.Tach stops at 6 but does not have a needle stop so it kept climbing. Shut it down at 6 so she is obviously under propped.I have the reciepts from the PO and he has a bill from a marina that shows 3 carb kits, 2 fuel pump kits and plugs along with R&R them.This was done in 2007 and has not been in the water untill now.The motor actually had been sitting for 30 years or so untill now.Also the primer bulb does not get hard when I pump it and I do not see any gas spilling from the throats ot really smell any excess gas.I put some Sea Foam into the tanks before the ride and initially it seemed a little rough it cleared up,but not all the way, went through about 4 gallons so far.So long story short,idle? Primer bulb? Any thoughts? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re: 1966 Merc 1100 SS ?? 13 years 3 months ago #33070

Could be a ruptured diaphragm in one of the pumps or a bad checkvalve in the bulb.
Picked up a freebie 66 -1100SS last week , had been out in the rain and snow for a long time , no lower unit ,no cowling either.
To my surprize it turned over. Did find water inside and will tear down ASAP.

Re:1966 Merc 1100 SS ?? 13 years 3 months ago #33073

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
New bulb came with box of misc.Did not hook it up, will do it before next ride,Sunday or Monday and let you know,thanks.This engine runs strong and according to everything[paperwork] that came with it has low low hours and looking at the wiring and general condition I can't disagree.Came from Carson City, not much moisture there.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:1966 Merc 1100 SS ?? 13 years 3 months ago #33074

Do I dare ask if you put a new impeller in or not before running the beast???
With its history it would be a perfect candidate to have installed a new impeller before hitting the waterways.

Sometimes if the prime bulb valves aren't working the best you can get them to work better by holding the bulb vertically with the engine end up while pumping the bulb.

I think that the 1100ss is one of the coolest sounding old Stack-6 Mercs out there.
Thom

Re:1966 Merc 1100 SS ?? 13 years 3 months ago #33088

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
The impellar was also listed on the receipt as being replaced,and the water flow was great.Yes it has about 3 different sounds depending on your throttle position.The insulation is like new,not a rip or hole on it.I was impressed with the performance,cant't wait to get the correct prop.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:1966 Merc 1100 SS ?? 13 years 3 months ago #33127

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Threw the new bulb on and it did get harder,not quite rock hard as I did not push it.Seems to idle better and start better after it's warm I did adjust the throttle lever a tad as well as this is a "new" setup.I had to connect the controls as it had never been done and it was not the controls that were original with motor.Pretty much had them set all the way to the stern.So thanks guys for the info,,will report back after some more test runs....

cool runnings Mr 88
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle