• Page:

TOPIC: High 5 Propeller for my boat?

High 5 Propeller for my boat? 13 years 4 months ago #32354

• Amigoid
  • Amigoid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Has anyone used a 5 blade "High Five" prop on their mercury, or an equivalent 5 blade from a competitor?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:High 5 Propeller for my boat? 13 years 4 months ago #32361

I have .. tried a 23 pitch on my 150 on the Glastron CVX 17 SCARY ! its a stern lift prop so going fast it wants to drive the bow down and cuase bow steer .. now I have a 20 pitch on my 115 on the Sea Ray and it works great pulls skier like a tractor nice controlled acceleration you give up some spped over say a Laser .. depends on the hull

Re:High 5 Propeller for my boat? 13 years 4 months ago #32373

The 5 blade stainless props are REALLY heavy and can be really tough on gears and shafts.
The biggest problem is that when coming to a dock or boat launch, etc and as you get close you use Reverse as a brake.
But,...Before going into Reverse it is common for folks to shift into Neutral and begin to slow down by coasting in Neutral.
The trouble is that in Neutral while the boat is coasting forward still that heavy 5 blade monster is free-wheeling as the boat goes through the water.
Then, when you shift to Reverse to slow quicker, etc that monster prop is spinning the wrong way, is very heavy, and the shift to Reverse will sooner or later be catastrophic.
Even in the bigger gears of the v6 that evil 5 blade stainless can really be destructive.
Just my opinion.
Thom

Re:High 5 Propeller for my boat? 13 years 4 months ago #32404

• Amigoid
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I appreciate that input; I have been warned about using the reverse motor when there is too much forward motion. I'm more of a crawl in slow kinda guy, but never the less... can you recommend a good aluminum 4 prop instead then?

Re:High 5 Propeller for my boat? 13 years 4 months ago #32435

I must confess that I don't stay current with all the various props and their advantages. I do however repair carnage caused by,...Props?,...Operators?,...Dead heads?,...Operators?,...
:laugh:
Thom

Re:High 5 Propeller for my boat? 13 years 4 months ago #32469

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Why ask about a High Five? If better acceleration is your goal, venting the prop may work better, cost a little of your time with a drill. 1/8" dia. for props to 15p, 3/16" for 17-21p, 1/4" for 23+p. img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/perrycl/ventingprops.gif Done this on 3 different rigs, all improved holeshot noticeably. If you try it and don't like it, plug holes with epoxy. Just don't go too big, (too much of a good thing), or the prop becomes a blender.

Re:High 5 Propeller for my boat? 13 years 4 months ago #32514

• Amigoid
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have a 15P Aluminum 3 bladed prop which should be acceptable for acceleration and towing skis, but if I was going to buy a crusing/high speed prop, I was looking at the different options, and it looked like a great fast prop which would have the least amount of vibration. something with 17-19-or maybe higher pitch when towing power for skis or tubes is not the big priority.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online