Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What would happen if......

What would happen if...... 13 years 1 month ago #32042

So I am converting my 1000 onto a power tilt trim unit. So what happens if the battery is dead one day? Anyway to lower the motor without power? And what happens if I hit something the water? Does it just blow off the lower?

With the original braket i could lower the motor no problem, and use the pull cord to start it up. If I hit something the motor jumps up and over....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What would happen if...... 13 years 1 month ago #32057

Peter,
There is a manual release on the starboard side of the trim unit.
It has a hex head and a straight slot for a screwdriver, but it is made out of plastic so be careful.
Simply open the release cc-w to allow the system to bleed by while you either lift or lower the system manually.
Hitting a deadhead or other obstacle with the lower unit can be a disaster with the integral PT&T.
The attached pictures are of a 60 MPH impact.
Thom
Attachments:

Re:What would happen if...... 13 years 1 month ago #32064

hit a solid object at 60mph without the pt+t and you will have significant damage also.

Re:What would happen if...... 13 years 1 month ago #32088

Just to add to Thoms note, don,t forget, if the unit is down the reservoir is under pressure and when you loosen that bleed/fill screw you will release fluid under pressure. If the unit is up it is not under pressure.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:What would happen if...... 13 years 1 month ago #32174

Thanks guys - especially for the reminder that when down there is pressure on the fluid reservoir –
Thom – was all that damage you displayed to an engine with the stock tilt/swivel bracket? Or a PT&T – looks like a PT&T

Re:What would happen if...... 13 years 1 month ago #32195

Peter,
It is a PT&T like the one you're working with.
I still feel they are the best PT&T from Merc.
Thom

Re:What would happen if...... 13 years 1 month ago #32197

Oh i still am proceeding with the retro fit - having a PTT on my boat will mke it so much more user friendly..... Thats if I can ever find time to work on it.....

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 3565 guests and 2 members online