Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: ring compressor

ring compressor 13 years 1 month ago #31034

hi, i need to install a crankshaft and piston assembly in a 1967 50hp but i don't have the mercury ring compressor. Anyone have an alternative method?
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:ring compressor 13 years 1 month ago #31037

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
the merc ring compressors are the best way. You can fight it with fingers but you risk breaking rings that way. The rc's pop up on ebay all the time. They can be spendy but....
I need to freshen up the set I have but they make life easy.

Re:ring compressor 13 years 1 month ago #31042

Prop,

I picked up a set on ebay not long ago and have not had a chance to use them. I would be willing to loan them out if it would help.

CD,

Re:ring compressor 13 years 1 month ago #31079

i might take you up on that if i can't find them locally.
thanks a bunch

Re:ring compressor 13 years 1 month ago #31096

This is what I have done, the brass ring is made from flat brass from the hobby shop, soldered in a circle the correct diameter to hold the rings and clear the piston. Oil it up and the ring slides off, the rings dont break and the ring slides up the rod. Once the rings are past the entry of the cyl, the brass strip has done its job. You can either cut it off then or let it ride up the rod where it is easier to snip. I prefer to put the pistons in the block using the brass ring, that way I can "feel" each piston and how it moves in the block. The brass ring is then re useable for the next piston. I put a flat aluminum bar across the crank case for the end bearings to rest on. Then I bring the rod up to the crank and bolt it on. Works for me.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:ring compressor 13 years 1 month ago #31097

Would help if i attached the pic.
Attachments:

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 3522 guests and 2 members online