• Page:

TOPIC: is it possible?

is it possible? 13 years 4 months ago #30965

• commander
  • commander's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I fire up the Merc 600 for the first time since 1970 and she ran very good.I would like to use this engine on the U-2 but it is a long shaft and the u-2 is a short transom.1-i can raise the transom but that might not look as good but it is to do.2-it is possible to take the lower unit from the Merc78/75? and put it on the merc 600.i also try to fire up the merc 78 but the controll didn,t work so i use the controll from the 600 and it work but the start only spin and it did,nt catch the flywheel i don,t know why.The bad new is later my motor and stand all tip over and broke the facew plate,screw that hold the top cover on,broke the tighten clam.because as you can see my stand is not that long in the front. www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/pic_on_vacation_252.JPG [/img]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:is it possible? 13 years 4 months ago #30985

If the lower parts would swap out to match a 59 MK 55 A i would do it with you. I dont think it does for sure. I need a long shaft or have to find another boat. Skip.

Re:is it possible? 13 years 4 months ago #30994

Commander,
Yes,...The Mark 75 or Mark 78 short shaft mid-housing and lower unit will work under your 600.
The 600 is basically a Mark 78 (Super Marathon) with a Mark 75 crankcase cover and small carburetors.
If you post pictures of exactly what you broke when it fell over I will check and see if I have replacement parts here.
I'm sure others will check too.
The reason the other controller didn't work was probably due to placement of the safety switches. Some DR models have them on the distributor and others have them in the control box.
Thom

Re:is it possible? 13 years 4 months ago #30999

I'd Strongly recommend you not fire up either motor again until you have replaced the water impeller, or the whole exercise could be moot. If the 600 has the same impeller in it as when it last ran in 1970, it is very likley no good. In just a very few minutes , or less, of running the motor with a bad impeller you can runin it by over heating it.

Please forgive if you've already taken care of that......

Re:is it possible? 13 years 4 months ago #31008

• commander
  • commander's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
okay,i will not start it anymore and built a better stand before i do i more damage.

Re:is it possible? 13 years 4 months ago #31039

I have the faceplate screw if you need it. Joe

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online