• Page:

TOPIC: I Need Starter for Mark 55E

I Need Starter for Mark 55E 13 years 5 months ago #30565

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I just about had this old Mark 55E running after it slept in the pole barn for many years. I replaced points/condensors/impeller etc. and then the starter died just as it was about to kick.

I tried tearing it apart to clean up the but I think the brushes are gone. I am having a really hard time finding a replacement. It is a strange beast where the bendix doesnt extend up to engage the flywheel but rather slings/swings sideways into it. Here are a few pics and I am hoping someone might have something for me.

Thanks,
Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re: I Need Starter for Mark 55E 13 years 5 months ago #30567

That style starter is very hard to come by. Yours must be a 1955 MK55

You can replace it with a newer style starter, but you would also need the newer style flywheel.

My advice is to tear your starter apart and replace the brushes. Any starter/alt repair shop will have brushes for you. Take it in and show them the brushes, and they will find you some usually.

Starters are usually pretty easy to repair. But I have never worked on one exactly like yours before.

Conrad

Re: I Need Starter for Mark 55E 13 years 5 months ago #30568

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
You are correct Conrad...it is a 55 Mark 55E. And yes they are REALLY hard to come by. I am trying to find the time to get it down to Tim Calmes at Silver Lake who is sure he can round up some brushes at least and maybe even a starter. I just thought I would make things easier for him if I could find a starter.

I have it all torn apart(did it last summer) and may have a heck of time figuring out how to put it back together now.... I leave that up to the expert Tim.

Thanks for the idea about using a newer one with a different fly wheel.

Happy Easter.
Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re: I Need Starter for Mark 55E 13 years 5 months ago #30612

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the later model starters will work, because the '55 block doesn't have the castings for the retaining bolts required by the later starters.
Thom

Tim should be able to fix you up with brushes. He has a GREAT inventory of NLA NOS besides all his used goodies.
T
Attachments:

Re:I Need Starter for Mark 55E 13 years 5 months ago #30613

Thom is correct the mount flange is different on that model

I think a guy could maybe fab up a plate to clamp the newer style starter into the blocks starter ring?

Re:I Need Starter for Mark 55E 13 years 5 months ago #30622

Thom your correct! I forgot :( Should be workable with a top plate like Michael mentioned.

Conrad

Re:I Need Starter for Mark 55E 13 years 5 months ago #30645

I'll see if a standard starter will fit the main hole for a starter and report back.
Hopefully I won't forget and will do it tomorrow.
I still need to check serial numbers on the early 1400 shorty too.
Sorry Conrad - I'll git-r-dun.
Thom

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online