TOPIC: 1100 vs 1100SS

1100 vs 1100SS 13 years 2 months ago #29654

• Neil
  • Neil's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Got a question.
In 1966 there was the 1100 and the 1100SS.
Is the 1100 points ignition and the 1100SS solid state ignition?
Also was the 1100 only made in 66 and 67?
Is there anything in particular that would make a guy shy away from these? Here's why. Maybe a trade for a Merc 75
portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/2319979608.html [/url]

I am waiting on the seriel # from the gentleman.
Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1100 vs 1100SS 13 years 2 months ago #29677

The SS was for solid state ignition.were good motors when i worked on them in the 60's-70's.

Re:1100 vs 1100SS 13 years 2 months ago #29745

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
The 110hp Six had the same bore as 65hp Fours of similar vintage and was unique in using the larger 2.937" bore for a displacement of 93.5 cubic inches.

Same stroke as the "1000" so basically you've got a very strong-running 100hp.

The ign is unique to the 1100 and early electronic ign units were different yet, any that went gunnysack were upgraded to a later style which still not the same as the later CD distributor-fired ign's.

The good news is, you've got a lot of parts in common with 100hp and 65hp models. The 65hp Four had the 2.937" pistons thru its '71 production run, and they sold a LOT of 65hp's so you shouldn't have much trouble finding parts.

If the ign is trashed, it can be upgraded with the standard CDI box used on all the later distributor Mercs, and distributor from a '68-'69 1000SS model.

You could also use a distributor from a 99-c.i. model Six but you'd have to shorten the rotor shaft. I did this mod years ago and that's what I recall having to do to make it work, at any rate there's so much interchangeability in the later distributors that you'd be able to come up with something that works.

And if the 1100 "SS" ign does work, no problem! There's nothing inherently wrong with it.

Shorties that size are becoming quite rare nowadays, it might be worth snapping up just for the short mid and L/U. At any rate, it'd sure look nice on a classic shortshaft boat.

Just check it out as you'd do any other motor and be sure you're getting a fair deal for your trade. At least, given its location, there's a good chance it's fresh-water run and not a Salty Dog!

G'luck and let us now how it works out........ed

Re:1100 vs 1100SS 13 years 2 months ago #29747

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the info ED.
I do have a 650 of the same vintage. And there is another close that could be had cheap. Both are long shafts.
This particular 1100's owner has not replied yet.
There is another 1100 shorty in Portland that is hanging on a wall in a boat shop. It can be had for $200. Exclusive deal, friend of mine.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1100 vs 1100SS 13 years 2 months ago #29791

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I have a 66 950. it's the smaller bore 90 cu in version of yours.
Both ignition systems have points. The first generation Thunderbolt used the two sets of points as the trigger for the switch box. The distributors are the same but the points timing is set up different depending on which ignition system it is. These early thunderbolt switch boxes are identified by having only 1 post on the distributor side rather than the typical three, boths sets of points go to this post. The coils are different on the two depending on ignition system. The standard system uses the 2 automotive looking coils like the earlier 6's did. The thunderbolt version uses a single coil that looks like a slightly larger version of the later 6 cyl thunderbolt coil up to about 74, except it has a sheetmetal mounting bracket rather than the later cast aluminum bracket. After 74 the coil was much smaller and bolted to a boss ont he front crankcase cover just below the distributor. This whole points triggerd system is a two year only. In 67 they went to the hall trigger and a slightly smaller coil with the aluminum bracket. You can find parts but they are harder to find. You can adapt the later coil OK. If the switchbox goes parts book says it superceeds to newer part number with the three posts but not sure how you connect the wires.
The hall distributors have two styles, the earlier 67 to about 70 (?) are very similar to the earlier points/dual coil ones. The hall sensor is in a seperate housing like the points are, the distributor splits in half. The caps are the same but the window where the second coil contacts the rotor on the two coil versions is covered with a cap. The hall sensor is also replaceable in this lower housing. The later 71 up the distributors are all one piece, rotor is integral ot the shaft andthe hall sensor cannot be replaced. All the distrubutors fit the blocks, the pulley is the same, the throttle linkage may need some mixing and matching, not sure. the last generation Thunderbolt coil will also work but an adapter plate might be needed as you crank case does not have the right mounting boss.
So you can keep the motor running if it has ignition problems with later model stuff, some parts will swap easier than others.
That $200 sounds like a good price for a decent motor.
Randy

Re:1100 vs 1100SS 13 years 2 months ago #29807

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Randy and Ed.
They say when the student is ready the teacher will appear.
I am learning.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1100 vs 1100SS 13 years 2 months ago #30022

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 66 1100ss that I thought stood for short shaft,which it is, guess I just learned something.Setup was shipped from across the country and with winter dragging on I am just getting around to inspecting it up close.Started to hook up controls and of course the nuts and F/R hold down part seemed to be missing.It was a 95% resto I picked up so I figured they were MIA.Started poking around the block and besides being immaculate from the wiring to the lack of anyone touching her for 30 some years I noticed "Tiger" being stamped on the cylnder head anyone know what that was for? Oh yea while looking I found a baggie taped to the block with my missing parts,basicaly right in front of my eyes where I was trying to hook up the controls..Duh.Came with 2 and 3 bladed bronze pushers, was told the 3 was aluminum,wrong :) I am about a month away from the maiden voyage so I am anxious to see how she performs.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:1100 vs 1100SS 13 years 2 months ago #30030

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I believe the "gurus" told me that the Tiger designation means it's a 90 cubic inch 88. Evidently there were also similar models available with a smaller displacement.

Mark

Re:1100 vs 1100SS 13 years 2 months ago #30034

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Not sure if you mean they are "normaly" 88 ci and this is 90? Could you clarify a little more for me,"90 cubic inch 88" kind of lost me there,, thanks

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:1100 vs 1100SS 13 years 2 months ago #30037

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Kiekhaefer used lots of different names for its various motors, "Comet" was used on some of the small Twins; "Panther" on the 4-cyl 65hp, "Marathon" for its famous direct reversing MK75 Six (Dockbuster), of which (2) MK75's ran a 68-day, 30-mph average-speed endurance run around Kiekhaefer's private Lake "X" in Florida.

"Tiger" was for the generation of 90 cubic inch Sixes and used on the 93.5 c.i. 1100 block as well, which was basically the same casting as the "1000" block.

The 1100 was not just an overbored "1000" block, but had larger-diameter cylinder sleeves, which would give a proper cylinder wall thickness even with the larger piston size.

I've got a 1250 block with "Typhoon" on the side and I think that's the last of the "named" blocks. Last of a proud tradition and a beautiful motor to boot!

Here's a very long discussion on the history of the Inline Six at Screamandfly, some conflicting info on the names but it's still a great read:

www.screamandfly.com/archive/index.php/t-15009.html

Cheers........ed

Re:1100 vs 1100SS 13 years 2 months ago #30058

Correct Ed the Tiger is on the 90 and 93 cubic inch motors only. My 1250 has Typhoon on it. My 1500 has no name. And I have not checked my 1350.

I have a good running 90 ci 900 1965 and a good running 93 ci 1100 1967 and my 93 ci 1100 has quite a bit more punch than the 90 :)

I like the look and power of the 1100. I hope to use one on my G-3 someday :)

Conrad

Re:1100 vs 1100SS 13 years 2 months ago #30154

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Conrad, I don't recall any name on my old 1350 either. That sure was a great motor! I regret to this day ever selling it. I have a real clean '72 140 powerhead that should build up to at least as strong as that 1350, but I still like the red cowlings of the '68-'71 better. Mebbe I'll build me a 1400 with red stripes!

That 1100 oughta run your G3 out right Smartly! I've ridden in Dr. FrankenMerc's restored G3 powered by a 76 c.i. 800-6 and it was Sporty!

Never did ride in it with the Big Six (1500XS Clone?) strapped on but I'm thinkin' that's just a wee bit too much for that hull! 'Specially if you've seen the pic of it virtually standing on the prop taking off. Just one example of the Dr.'s special insanity!!

Cheers........ed

Re:1100 vs 1100SS 13 years 2 months ago #30235

There is no name on the 135. By the time the 135 was made there was only one size of 6, so there was no need to differentiate the block from another casting ... so ... from 135 on ... 140's 115's 150's & 90's are anonymous

Re:1100 vs 1100SS 13 years 2 months ago #30258

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Ed
I went to the scream and fly link you supplied. Thank you.
There is alot to absorb. But the changes have to eventually come to a motor that stays in the lineup for that many years. Evolution.
I am a big fan of the FE Ford motors of the 50's,60's and 70's.
There are some different variations there as well. But again, it was also in the lineup for several years. Evolution again. And like the Mercury 6 cylinder, it was eventually phased out.
But boy did they ever leave a footprint on history. Both the FE and the Merc.
Thanks again.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

test ad
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

test ad
06-02-2024

FiberGoogle