• Page:

TOPIC: how to lift a 1961 merc 450?

how to lift a 1961 merc 450? 13 years 2 months ago #29079

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
the flywheel doesnt have threads in the middle for a lifting ring,can i use the three bolt holes shown with bolts that i bought,and make a lifting ring from them?or will it hurt the motor?,john
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:how to lift a 1961 merc 450? 13 years 2 months ago #29080

why not make a plat for the 3 bolts and drill a hloe in the center and put a eye bolt in there to lift on.

Re:how to lift a 1961 merc 450? 13 years 2 months ago #29087

Excellent idea Dave! What do you think, 1/4" plate, 5/16" or 3/8"?

Frank

Re:how to lift a 1961 merc 450? 13 years 2 months ago #29094

1/4 for the powerhead. 5/16 for the whole motor. get at least 3/8 for the eye bolt.

Re:how to lift a 1961 merc 450? 13 years 2 months ago #29095

And if you make the plate thick enough you can thread it and use it as a flywheel puller as well.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:how to lift a 1961 merc 450? 13 years 2 months ago #29111

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yeah guys thats what i was talking about when i said can i make a lifting ring,,i already have the big eye bolt, but will it hurt the motor?can i lift with just the flywheel?by the way thank you,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:how to lift a 1961 merc 450? 13 years 2 months ago #29112

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
John
I believe lifting it by the three bolts will be just fine.
When using those bolts with a puller to remove the flywheel, there is alot of pressure there so just lifting should work fine. Sink the bolts all the way so there are lots of threads holding.
As a comparison, I have lifted big block Ford and Chevy motors with just a lifting plate attached to the 4 carb bolts. Smaller bolts and alot more weight.
I would'nt want to steer you wrong, hope this helps.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:how to lift a 1961 merc 450? 13 years 2 months ago #29117

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
On a Puller your pushing against the crank If your lifting the Motor with the Flywheel Its attached to the crank so your actually lifting with the crankshaft . There must be somesort of Thrust bearing that keeps the crank from moving front to back in the block . You would be putting alot of preasure on that bearing if your lifting a motor by it ..I could be wroung but thats my train of thought ..Not sure what Mercury uses for thrust control . Maybe one of our Merc Maniacs that tore one down can tell us ..But ild be carefull till you know for sure ..Neil is right you can lift a Auto Motor by a plate attached to the intake with just 4 3/8 inch bolts assuming there Good grade like grade 8 .Ive lifted 454 Chevy Big Blocks that way so the bolts wouldnt be a problem .But like I say Flywheel to crank and crank is lifting off of something inside the block .

Re:how to lift a 1961 merc 450? 13 years 2 months ago #29125

That is the way to lift the Merc - by the flywheel or as you're pointing out - by the crankshaft.
On the earlier Mercs - like the one you want to lift - when lifting by the flywheel, the crankshaft simply comes up about .005 (if endplay has been properly set up during internal assembly) and then the top main bearing is contacted by the crankshaft and you begin lifting off the top end cap - or (4) 5/16" cap-screws.
I don't think that lil Merc weighs but about 120 lbs, guts, feathers, and all.
I've also built an eye welded to a fine thread nut that fits the crankshaft threads, removed the crankshaft retaining nut, and after threading on my lifting eye - simply lifted by the crankshaft's threads.
The bigger Mercs (and some later model 44ci the same size as yours)have female threads in the hub of the flywheel and all lifting is done by the flywheel hub - even on the huge v6 models.
Relax,...Do the lift,....Life will be good.
:laugh:
Thom

Re:how to lift a 1961 merc 450? 13 years 2 months ago #29128

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
boy thanks guys,i appreciate all the help,im used to johnny/rudes,you just pop the top off and there is the lifting handle.,lol.thank you all,john

---Mark Twain

Re:how to lift a 1961 merc 450? 13 years 2 months ago #29129

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
John
I am anxious in Idaho.
I know that little Merc is gonna look perfect when you are done.
Can't wait to see it here and on your site.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:how to lift a 1961 merc 450? 13 years 2 months ago #29130

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks for the vote of confidence neil,but some folks are probably going to get mad at me,lol,im painting part of the motor to match the boat,ed gave me the flying fish so i going to restore it 1st,john

---Mark Twain

Re:how to lift a 1961 merc 450? 13 years 2 months ago #29141

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Dr_Frankenmerc wrote:

That is the way to lift the Merc - by the flywheel or as you're pointing out - by the crankshaft.
On the earlier Mercs - like the one you want to lift - when lifting by the flywheel, the crankshaft simply comes up about .005 (if endplay has been properly set up during internal assembly) and then the top main bearing is contacted by the crankshaft and you begin lifting off the top end cap - or (4) 5/16" cap-screws.
I don't think that lil Merc weighs but about 120 lbs, guts, feathers, and all.
I've also built an eye welded to a fine thread nut that fits the crankshaft threads, removed the crankshaft retaining nut, and after threading on my lifting eye - simply lifted by the crankshaft's threads.
The bigger Mercs (and some later model 44ci the same size as yours)have female threads in the hub of the flywheel and all lifting is done by the flywheel hub - even on the huge v6 models.
Relax,...Do the lift,....Life will be good.
:laugh:
Thom

Thank You Thom ..Now I know ..Im by no means a Mercury Mechanic .I know enought to get them Mounted and running and do your Basic stuff like Carb rebuilding , water pumps and such .As a autobody man and GM mechanic for 20 years Ive seen guys pull stuff the wroung way and break stuff .Its easier to ask than rebuild a motor ...L.O.L..Cheaper to :) ..John Im glad your in the Merc family ...

Re:how to lift a 1961 merc 450? 13 years 2 months ago #29152

They make a lifting ring for that, but you should be able to make one. Mine is a peice of round steel, about 1/8" thick, with a large center hole, three holes on the outer edge for the bolts, and a lifting ring welded to it. Basically a large washer with a lift ring staddling the center hole. I'll try and send a pick ASAP.
Tom

Re:how to lift a 1961 merc 450? 13 years 2 months ago #29167

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks to you all for the help,and it look like ed gordon my moms fiance is going merc too he has one to get from tim and we just got a 650 off of a larson lapliner,its a good looking motor,im going to post some pics in the main forum,because we also picked up the 59 cutter avon hardtop,and ed gave me the 59 deluxe flying fish.john

---Mark Twain

Re:how to lift a 1961 merc 450? 13 years 2 months ago #29175

Cool. A Flying Fish. It should fly. I had one with a Merc 500 and it flew. 12" pitch prop. Lots of pulling power. :woohoo:
Have fun with it!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

test ad
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

test ad
06-02-2024

FiberGoogle

Who's Online