• Page:

TOPIC: Inner water jacket cover 1500

Inner water jacket cover 1500 13 years 3 months ago #27788

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi all,
I am at the point where I am installing the inner exhaust deflector that also covers the water jacket on a 1500 inline. I have the special Merc Epoxy called out but, am wondering what people use on the gasket itself. It's been awhile since I did one of this generation (70's) , I have mostly been doing late 50's early 60's in lines that do not have this.
Anything or dry? It's a Merc gasket, this is a fussy area so I stayed with Merc parts here. I also am using an NOS deflector, block is clean as a whistle.
I am also wondering about the rear water jacket cover too, they are suseptible to leaking around the plugs. I have used the hardening Form-a-gasket on the area of the gasket around the plugs on both sides and that seems to hold up but interested in opinions.
Any thought would be appreciated.
Thanks
Randy (63g3)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Inner water jacket cover 1500 13 years 3 months ago #27862

Randy, I have a method that was given to me by Jeff G, It is not in electronic format any more so give me a chance to scan it and I will post it here. The new merc gaskets are not coated anymore so you have to use something. Talk soon.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re: Inner water jacket cover 1500 13 years 3 months ago #27865

Jeff G uses red rtv, sparingly, wipe on with your finger. Coat the block and both sides of the gasket. Torque to 200 inch pounds with the blue loctite on your bolts. Work from the center out.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

test ad
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

test ad
06-02-2024

FiberGoogle

Who's Online