Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Carnage by mice

Carnage by mice 3 years 3 months ago #143818

Just in case you think that Grandpa's old Mercury outboard is safe tucked away in the barn on the floor,...Think again.
Mice will climb up the exhaust, up the driveshaft housing, and into the exhaust ports, AND,...Into any cylinders that are positioned lower that the exhaust ports.
Mice and other such critters apparently pee in their nest, and consequently the ammonia created destroys the surrounding aluminum and cylinders.
I don't know how long this 1960 300-4 cylinder was resting seemingly comfortably in an old barn, but by the time I received it,...It was seriously FUBAR.
I was only able to salvage a handful of parts, but those salvaged parts are becoming increasingly rare, and a welcome addition to my pile of goodies.
doc

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carnage by mice 3 years 3 months ago #143824

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Sad. Those critters are crazy. They got under the hood of my motor stored outside on a boat right outside the garage and nibbled on the foam. Would a mothball or anything else keep these critters out! They made a nest and ate wires on the house A/C and a year ago, the crawled between the transmission bell housing and motor of a car in the garage and when I pulled the blown motor, they had a stash of the green poison pellets in there... I couldn’t believe what a small hole they can squeeze into. Any advice on how to keep them out would be appreciated from anyone. I prefer my outboards critter free. The fishing Merc I bought this summer only sat a few months on a farm and when I pulled the cowl, there was the mouse nest.

Dr.Go!

Carnage by mice 3 years 3 months ago #143838

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Yupper. You haven't lived until you clean out one of those rat nests. Been fortunate with my old RV, only found some celery seeds in the light globes. I know they're around, the green pellets are always gone but no bodies.
Found this in the car I'm restoring. "was stored in the barn for 5 years" All the plug wires were chewed along with some hard plastic connectors.
Attachments:

Carnage by mice 2 years 10 months ago #144675

I've had a mouse v. wiring harness issue in my truck within the last year. I keep hearing good things about dryer sheets and peppermint oil as deterrents.

Carnage by mice 2 years 10 months ago #144676

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
Dang rodents chewed the heck out of my daughter's boyfriend's Mustang. Caused thousands of dollars in damage. Guess they like the new wiring which has "Green" insulation (made from soybeans as I understand). They don't touch his 2005 Honda and don't like my 31-yr-old Trooper, which has sat outside forever! A local Ford mechanic advised him to get rid of the car so he traded it in on a Honda Accord. So far, no more rats chewing! Although his Dad has a '14 'Stang GT and they like that one! He had to take it to the dlr for repairs recently.

I'd be wearing a mask working on that Nasty Block, and also maybe spray with bleach before making lots of dust. Gots to watch out for the Nasty rodent-based Hantavirus. Bad Stuff.

Carnage by mice 2 years 10 months ago #144677

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167

Carnage by mice 2 years 10 months ago #144678

So much for green planet stuff.

Carnage by mice 2 years 10 months ago #144698

Fresh cab rodent repellent

Carnage by mice 2 years 8 months ago #145282

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
i use the dryer sheets also plus those electric sonic things. now i wonder about the 700 i have laying on floor in garage ;(

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8152 guests and 2 members online