Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Adding 3 ram Power Trim to your '60s-'80s inline-6

Adding 3 ram Power Trim to your '60s-'80s inline-6 9 years 8 months ago #104202

I know this has been discussed before, but I thought I would share my 'How To' on this topic.
This retro-fit will work on the '70s thru '88 inline-4 (850-4 cyl & 80 4 cyl) and all inline-6 Tower-of Power Mercs from '73-'88.
This MAY also work on the '60s 650-4 cyl, 800-4 cyl, and all of that era's Towers of Power, but I have not confirmed that the distance between the top motor mounts and the bottom motor mounts are identical to the aforementioned models of the '70s-'88.
This will work only on the long shaft (20") models.
You will need to use your original steering shaft, cap-screws, & motor mounts as the 3 ram system from the later L-3, L-4, & some v-6s are metric and also have a difference distance between the top & bottom motor mounts.
The only thing you will need to fabricate or have fabricated are the steering shaft bushings required.
I have included the specific measurements for these custom bushings.
If you can find these bushings in at mass produced vendor, I would like to know where, as they are probably cheaper than a request for them made at a local machine shop.
Follow the pictorial below, and post with any questions or concerns.
doc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Adding 3 ram Power Trim to your '60s-'80s inline-6 9 years 8 months ago #104204

great info... just happens that i scored another 85 90hp merc last night. clean as a whistle just stuck from not being winterized ..now to check it out over the weekend and decide if its a parts motor or get it running and flip it.. but if i keep this up and i'll need my new garage built sooner to store them.. the wifes not happy with all these motors in the basement.. LOL

Re:Adding 3 ram Power Trim to your '60s-'80s inline-6 9 years 8 months ago #104218

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Excellent info Thom, thank you for sharing!

Mark

Re:Adding 3 ram Power Trim to your '60s-'80s inline-6 9 years 8 months ago #104248

vintagerunner,
As long as you are lucky enough to find those inline-6 Mercs that already have the 3 ram PT, you don't have to mess with this retro-fit process.
If your steering shaft bushings get wobbly all you'll need to do is replace them with OEM if you can find them - or - fab different replacements from different specs I have available. The OEMs are pretty cheesy IMHO.
:)
doc

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online