Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: serial number and motor id help???

serial number and motor id help??? 9 years 9 months ago #103893

ok guys hoping someone a little more informed can help me..
i picked up a parts motor over the summer and while im cleaning up what i need. i'd like to what year parts im working with here...
the only numbers are
serial number.....A191096... its an inline 6.. mid cover says 90hp
but i cant seem to find these numbers anywhere..????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: serial number and motor id help??? 9 years 9 months ago #103895

Re: serial number and motor id help??? 9 years 9 months ago #103897

its all gray.. and mariner decals on the mid section cover..no side wrap around cover..so i'd say its a Mariner..LOL... and not sure what to look for on the block itself...if there are any special numbers to check???im guessing its around mid 80's it has the 3 wire trim and tilt i wanted..

Re: serial number and motor id help??? 9 years 9 months ago #103898

i just want to make sure the parts i want to switch around are going to work.. we all know just because things look the same doesnt always mean they are the same...lol would just be nice if i can cross reference everything i want to use.. just for instance the switch boxed look the same but have different color codes on them for the main power harness,, so would they work..??? maybe?? maybe not??? i would think they would but im not the expert..

Re: serial number and motor id help??? 9 years 9 months ago #103899

Its a 1985, all parts are compatible with older ADI motors. The switchbox part number is likely a new number superseding the older numbers. your older powerhead will also mount on that mid section which is an easier way to upgrade. Good parts motor by the looks of it.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re: serial number and motor id help??? 9 years 9 months ago #103902

thanks.. yea it has everything i need on it..and a few new parts in the ignition system,, so it was a great deal for $50.00 all that was wrong was the lower unit was bad.. i checked that out and the front bearing locked up and split the carrier.. so its rebuildable for me..
just need to replace the bearing carrier for the prop shaft.. everything inside looks good.. worry about that when im ready..

right now im cleaning up the mid section and getting it ready for paint... since im doing all my winter work in my basement.. i'll be installing and reassembling it on the back of the boat in 3 pieces.. a complete motor is too much for me to get up a flight of stairs..

Re: serial number and motor id help??? 9 years 9 months ago #103992

Except for the gray paint, this series of Mariner is identical to a Mercury. The only differences are the shape of the top hat and the cowl wrap. All other parts are the same.
You really scored at $50!!!
If your Merc is older and has the plug-in for the harness on the starboard side, but your harness (internal or external) have crummy wires, you can use the lower pan that came off this Mariner under your earlier 1150-1500?? and step up to the much better (8) pin with a round dis-connect on this Mariner & same era Mercs that tucks away inside the cowlings.
You will also want to use the Mariner's front cowl support, since it has the PT solenoids and related wire harness on it, and there is no casting for these solenoids on the older front cowl support.
You may need to remove the clamp assembly on the front cowl support that holds the (8) pin male to female plug-in together & just tape the two together, so you'll have room for your earlier switchbox - if your Merc has a distributor. I don't recall if there is room on the inside of this front cowl support for both the clamp & the older switchbox.
I have pointed out where to find the powerhead serial number on your picture.
doc
Attachments:

Re: serial number and motor id help??? 9 years 9 months ago #103994

my 115 mariner is a 79.. so this worked out fantastic for what i needed.. i got my trim and tilt.. and a bunch of new electrical parts off this motor...and yes i have already cleaned up the front plate with the trim solenoids on it.. and had already finished up a total rewire of my engine so i'll be staying with the side plug controls..if i had found this first it might have been a different story..but the engine harness alone was a 150.00 nos

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.521 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online