• Page:

TOPIC: 1966 Merc 1100 SS I think

1966 Merc 1100 SS I think 9 years 9 months ago #103298

• firstfibre
  • firstfibre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
serial 1969018 , the dist to coil wire is broken off, how do you take the wires off and on? I ordered some Packard 440 wire from eBay and now before I break something it would be nice to be edumacated on this. Mercontrol wires are a mess too, think I need to re-wire the whole birds nest but it's not frozen, turning the flywheel and shifting works.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1966 Merc 1100 SS I think 9 years 9 months ago #103299

The distributor cap wires unscrew from the distributor cap.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re: 1966 Merc 1100 SS I think 9 years 9 months ago #103304

• firstfibre
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
So just lefty loosey the wire? also how is it on the coil, same thing? I need to replace that wire and don't want to break those expensive parts.
Thanks for the help

Re: 1966 Merc 1100 SS I think 9 years 9 months ago #103306

coil end just pulls out.

Re:1966 Merc 1100 SS I think 9 years 9 months ago #103309

Everything you needed to know about a merc distributor LOL. If your wire is broken you likely left the brass end that screws into the cap in the cap tower.
That rotor does not come off.
Check the condition of the 3 wires that go into the distributor base. If the insulation is rotted off I suggest liquid tape and heat shrink.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:1966 Merc 1100 SS I think 9 years 9 months ago #103310

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The gang here is great about helping out with the little tricks and "quirks" on the classic Merc's, but the best favor you can do yourself is to get one of the factory manuals and study it carefully before ever turning a wrench Steve! Nothing like having the "live help desk" available here, but it really helps to have something to look over ahead of time IMHO.

I believe the factory manuals are still available thru www.oldmercs.com , and ebay of course......maybe somebody here has one they would part with? (Highly doubtful, but it never hurts to put the word out.)

Here's a link you might find useful in the meantime?;
boatinfo.no/lib/mercury/manuals/mercury_1965-1989_40-115.html#/0

Mark

Re:1966 Merc 1100 SS I think 9 years 9 months ago #103349

• firstfibre
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks everyone for the help, I bought it for $350 from a guy in Canada so it may be he was trying to fix it or something but the wire is broken so I will have to study up more on that and try to find a manual, I just wanted to try and start it and see if it runs as he said it did a few years ago. Once I do that I want to start replacing wires. All the harnesses and stuff are really expensive and I'm not looking to do a resto other than replacing the wires (the mercontrol power wires are cracked an corroded) and hopefully the wires near the plugs are covered enough I can mate new soldered wires to them. I don't think it's a salt motor since I don't see a lot of that type of corrosion.
I started with a computer tech background before I got into software, I cracked my Aprilia Tuono 1000R street bike to replace the rotor after troubleshooting and finding it burnt up. I have worked on cars a lot but never like pistons/rings/bearings level.

I raced my BMW in Colorado so I know the value of a good forum and the great people that share the wealth you can't buy. Hopefully find some people in the Seattle area.

Thanks again and great to meet everyone, just bought a boat and a 40hp Merc that hopefully is in better shape, need to drive to Montana to pick it up.

Re:1966 Merc 1100 SS I think 9 years 9 months ago #103379

Where in Canada?

Re:1966 Merc 1100 SS I think 9 years 9 months ago #103401

Im guessing somewhere in Alberta.

Re:1966 Merc 1100 SS I think 9 years 9 months ago #103411

Hmmm could be, just wondering if it is anyone we know, Dave. BTW did you hear about what happened to the the MLC of the AOMC? Disgusting.

Re:1966 Merc 1100 SS I think 9 years 9 months ago #103416

• firstfibre
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
i don't have a passport so met him at the BC and Washington border

Re:1966 Merc 1100 SS I think 9 years 9 months ago #103417

Hi George, I did not hear about the MLC of AOMC, send me an email.

Re:1966 Merc 1100 SS I think 9 years 9 months ago #103418

firstfibre wrote:

i don't have a passport so met him at the BC and Washington border

I would love to have been a fly on the wall for that Border Crossing.

Re:1966 Merc 1100 SS I think 9 years 9 months ago #103419

MLC. has been band from AOMCI. go to the inner sanctum to see.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online