Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Merc 80hp

1959 Merc 80hp 9 years 10 months ago #102890

Is it true these motors do not have a neutral? only Fwd & reverse

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Merc 80hp 9 years 10 months ago #102891

A 1959 Merc 80 hp did not have anything for Merc did not make a 80 hp (for the common customer) till 1960

In 1961 you could get a shifter motor, however till then you had a Direct Reversing. Meaning that the motor ran backwards for reverse, and off for neutral. that is how they became know as Dock Busters.

The motor would stop start in reverse every time all day long till you were coming into the dock. Then it would stop however for reason would not start in reverse

from the www.oldmercs.com web site
These engines do not have a gearshift mechanism. They use a special remote control that provides the ability to start the engine in gear, either forward or backward. (called Direct Reversing.)

CAVU

Re:1959 Merc 80hp 9 years 10 months ago #102908

What do you think one is worth. I bought one several months ago,completely rebuilt. I'm not planning on selling it but i'm just wondering.I saw it run, starts right up, quiet and ran for quite a while. Did not overheat and hardly any smoke.
Pics attached
Attachments:

Re:1959 Merc 80hp 9 years 10 months ago #102942

Like what TallTexan says and from what I’ve learned the 800 was available first in 60 as Direct Reverse (DR) only. In 61 the Full Shift became available in both an A & B model.

The A model is apparent by the cast MERCURY letters like your motor has whereas the B has decals. I’ve also noticed the B model has larger rubber mounting bushing compared to the A model. Another difference is a change in the Tillotson carburetor model KA 11A to a KA 14A which has an increased idle supply passage on the B version.

Your motor looks great and appears to be a 1960 DR. The S/N can be cross referenced at the www.oldmercs.com site to determine exactly what you have.

My 61 Full Shift

Under power
Attachments:

Re:1959 Merc 80hp 9 years 9 months ago #103083

Thanks for the info and pic/video. I'm putting it on a 1959 Lakensea 16ft Arrowhead once I finish restoring the boat.
Any ballpark idea what the motor is worth. Its completely rebuilt.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online