• Page:

TOPIC: Mark 78 Lower unit re-attachement

Mark 78 Lower unit re-attachement 9 years 10 months ago #102742

• headley
  • headley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have done this before, but I cannot remember how the heck I did it. I just replaced the impeller and now an replacing the lower unit, but am having a helluva time getting the bottom tube to mate with the upper orifice (nice terms yes?). I got the main shaft in but the water bottom tube is not cooperating. Any hints or tricks Boys?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Mark 78 Lower unit re-attachement 9 years 10 months ago #102743

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
For me I've found it's easier to put the motor in a vertical position when you get to that point. That way gravity isn't trying to move the tube when you position the water tube where it's supposed to be. (The resin mixing sticks make great adjustment tools to go between the two housings when you get close.) I position a floor jack under the lower unit to hold it in place after pulling the two together (by hand!) until I can get a bolt started. Quite comical to watch I'm sure. :laugh:

Mark

Re:Mark 78 Lower unit re-attachement 9 years 10 months ago #102753

tape the water tube to the Drive Shaft at the correct measurement in the book been a long time I don't know what it is but that is the way I did it in the 60's.

Re:Mark 78 Lower unit re-attachement 9 years 10 months ago #102775

I too put the lower back on with the motor vertical. And if I recall, I would insert the water tube into the orifice in the block first, then lift in the lower and as it gets close guild the water tube into the orifice on the water pump.

Re:Mark 78 Lower unit re-attachement 9 years 10 months ago #102838

• headley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks to all and after reading the manual they do suggest to insert the tube into the upper hole first. I am going to use a hybrid installation, I love the clever use of tape to keep the tube in place. Then using the floor jack in the vertical position with careful prodding from a little stick. I will report back with an update.

Re:Mark 78 Lower unit re-attachement 9 years 9 months ago #103499

• headley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I am having a heck of a time trying to get that pipe in the hole. Trying it with the pipe in the upper orifice and bringing the lower end up to it is impossible, once the lower end gets close you loose all access and can barely see it. It has to make it around the lower tube and that ain't happening. Trying it the other way is just as bad. There has to be a trick?
Thanks all! Happy Holidays.
Thom

Re:Mark 78 Lower unit re-attachement 9 years 9 months ago #103505

worst case just pull the power head . install the lower ,now you can work on the upper pan and water tube easily. more time but easy to do.

Re:Mark 78 Lower unit re-attachement 9 years 9 months ago #103532

• headley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Dave, I will have to see if I have a gasket. more work, but it will be done properly with no wondering if it was successful.

Re:Mark 78 Lower unit re-attachement 9 years 9 months ago #103533

when you do this. grease the gasket so next time you have to pull the power head you can reuse it again.

Re:Mark 78 Lower unit re-attachement 9 years 8 months ago #104996

• headley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks to Dave and all who chimed in and added their opinions. Thanks to Bill Kelly and the good Doc, Thom for their help. Bill suggested I build a little tube that would help guide the pipe into place. Thom suggested making a little tool that would grab the tube and guide it into the hole (see photo). As it turned out I needed neither. I should have known that Carl's designers would not make it that difficult. As the tube got closer it made it around the lower intake tube and it took just a screwdriver to guide it into the hole. Thanks again to all.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online