Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 79 ,,115 mariner lower unit question ????

79 ,,115 mariner lower unit question ???? 10 years 1 week ago #100703

hi ,, i dropped my lower unit to change the water pump and to check the gear shift...when i got the motor i was told by my brother they had trouble 1 time getting it to shift out of forward gear... they had to drop the lower unit and turn the linkage to get back to neutral.. i noticed i can feel the detent for neutral.. but the linkage will only turn one way.. then wont turn back.. i have to keep turning till i feel the detent for neutral again.. it will shift forward but not reverse.. could this just be from the motor not running and something just not lining up or does it sound like i might have a problem.. just trying to figure this out before going any farther with refinishing this gear case..
if there is a problem.. would a lower unit off a 135 fit.. i was told about one for parts.. and was trying to decide if i was interested or not.. i was looking at it for the trim and tilt conversion.. if it could be swapped over... for the T&T conversion i was told some L4 and L6's can work.. but this is a V6?? so not sure..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:79 ,,115 mariner lower unit question ???? 10 years 1 week ago #100704

To shift the lower unit into Reverse, rotate the shift shaft counter-clockwise from Neutral while slowly rotating the prop shaft clockwise.
The shift should then rotate into Reverse and then the prop shaft will not continue to rotate unless you force it to, resulting in the driveshaft also rotating.
Remember, once you replace your impeller, never turn the driveshaft counter-clockwise.
The 135 v6 power trim can be retro-fitted to the '79 115 inline-6, but it is extremely difficult and special swivel bushings will need to be fabricated. If the 135 PT is a (3) ram, with its pump and everything on the aft side of the transom (no pump in the bilge) it is and excellent upgrade, but again extremely difficult to marry up.
Doc

Re:79 ,,115 mariner lower unit question ???? 10 years 1 week ago #100708

yes its a 3 ram..everything in the bracket assy... i also have a line on a trim unit from a 1996... 60hp. again self contained unit..if that would fit better?????

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online