• Page:

TOPIC: 1964 Starcraft Ranger

1964 Starcraft Ranger 11 years 9 months ago #64690

• Homebrew
  • Homebrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi new guy here, I found this place while looking for some info on my boat and saw littlefins post on the same boat. Looked around and liked what I saw so I registered. For fun I work on small engines, and have built/building 2 hardtail choppers from the ground up. I have a 220v welder, torches, drill press all the toys. I used to have a late 80's Stingray 17' boat but got rid of it about 10 years ago. Had a son 7 years ago and wanted to get something to take him fishing. So I bought this boat 3 years ago got it running but discovered the water pump wasn't pumping so I shut it down. It was early November so I put it away at my Grams and would fix it "Next Year" well as I said it's been 3 well my sons been on my case to fix it so here I am. It's a 1964 Starcraft Ranger I believe with a 1964 Evinrude 28hp and a Holsclaw original trailer.

First pressure wash, enlist child labor when possible.

Next drop the lower end of the motor to get to the water pump.

Very easy to see why the water pump isn't pumping. So I ordered the part, a whopping $14 off Ebay.

While waiting for the part I stripped out the interior, with the exception of the front bench, it gives me a place to make Vrrroomm Vrrroomm noises and have a beer till the parts come in.

I will be carpeting the floor and adding 4 folding seats instead of the bench for ease of getting around the boat to fish plus our Golden Retriever will have some room to lay down. I also have to rewire the lights and get some new rubber on the rims, I think they are original too. And I will let it go fo this year but before next I want new steering and throttle cables. I will update as progress is made.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1964 Starcraft Ranger 11 years 9 months ago #64702

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Homebrew, glad you decided to join us here. I think it's great that you're getting the kids involved in the renovation, and I'll bet they thank you for it down the road sometime. ;) Keep us posted on your progress, looks like you have a good start on it.

Mark

Re:1964 Starcraft Ranger 11 years 9 months ago #64713

Why wasn't the water pumping?
Impeller looks OK except for one vane in the wrong direction.
Is the impeller key there somewhere?

I think your son is going to love driving that boat!

Re:1964 Starcraft Ranger 11 years 9 months ago #64728

• Homebrew
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi and thanks for the welcomes. It wasn't pumping because two vanes were going in the wrong direction and it had it locked up. I was going to try and use it because you can bend them back but I figured for the cost, and I already had the lower end out, I would just replace with new rather than have it bend back and have to tear down again.
And yes I try to keep my son out of the house as much as possible so it was good incentive. You want the boat done you help. :laugh:
He is pretty good though and helps in the garage quite a bit on all my projects.

Re:1964 Starcraft Ranger 11 years 9 months ago #64730

Homebrew,

Nice boat you got there!

Kids, Together time, Fishing! Man the excuses some people come up with to keep old boats around. :laugh:

Get her back on the water and enjoy her, as fast as you can. That little boy you have there now, will much to soon be on his own so don't dilly-dally!

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:1964 Starcraft Ranger 11 years 9 months ago #64733

• Homebrew
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks littlefin and you are right about hurry up. I am on it and he is growing up way too fast. I should be test starting it tonight so fingers crossed.

Re:1964 Starcraft Ranger 11 years 8 months ago #66823

• Homebrew
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Well I got forced to second shift which will put a cramp on my family life but will give me time to work on the boat/car/truck/motorcycles for the next six weeks. I got the engine back together and bought and installed a new key ignition. I will be out there tomorrow and try to start it. There will be video if it starts.

Re:1964 Starcraft Ranger 11 years 8 months ago #66828

homebrew,im not as lucky as you,i dont have kids,i guess thats why im such a pain in everbodys butt here,lol.
it is great to see a dad and his kid working on these old boats,believe me you are making great memories for that little fella,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1964 Starcraft Ranger 11 years 8 months ago #66897

• Homebrew
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the reply. I hope he remembers at least the stuff we do out in the garage together. Because we sure do spend a lot of time out there. I had to work on getting my front fender remounted on the motorcycle that has been off for 5 years. It will be my only mode of transportation and it's supposed to rain out. :angry: Never needed the fender but if I am riding in the rain I have to stay dry at least till I get to work. The ride home doesn't matter as much.

Re:1964 Starcraft Ranger 11 years 7 months ago #69220

• Homebrew
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Weeeeeeeeell I neutered the boat today or at least that's the way I see it. HAHAHA We got a seasonal campsite at a place we really like and have been going there for about 12 years. They only allow you to have a boat with a 10hp on it. So I traded a .22 rifle for a 1962 Evinrude 10 hp and took the 28hp off. It is in really good condition and after I put it on it fired right up just like the guy said it would. I do need to locate a shifter lever as this one is broken and I can't attach the control cable to it. I also like the way it looks, I was afraid it would look too small but it doesn't. I was only going to use it for fishing and cruising so I will just get to the fishing hole a little slower. Anyway next will be the carpet and seats and I will get it in the water for next season. My son is happy and that is what really matters to me.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)