Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Finally

Finally 2 years 9 months ago #144940

Getting my old 1959 splash pan back in was a doozy, but got it done this nice warm afternoon. Ground everything down from the last (failed) attempt, and got new glass both sides. Back isn't great, and to be honest, had to re-do one side, but everything stuck good and will let it dry overnight and put one final wider layer of glass on tomorrow, then fill what crack be seen on top with duraglass or some such.

We're packing up to move soon, so it was a challenge finding everything I needed.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Finally 2 years 9 months ago #144994

Starting to strip the single stage paint for two stage paint. 2 hours doesn't do it. Will check in the a.m.

Attachments:

Finally 2 years 9 months ago #144997

You may have to cover the stripper, once applied, with a plastic garbage bag to keep it from drying out?
I've been using the orange safe stripper, and it only works while moist. If it dries out ? it stops working.
But maybe your stripper is different ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: JetDeville700

Finally 2 years 9 months ago #145003

Looks like I'm going to junk this boat. Covered the stripper, and when I just went back to see how it did, it did too good. I have bare fiberglass now sticking up. I'm going to have to decide whether to keep this boat or take it to the dump. I do not have the skills to fix this sort of damage. Bah.

Attachments:

Finally 2 years 9 months ago #145004

have you ever checked out boatworkstoday.com ?
check out the videos lots of good stuff there. The beauty of fiberglass, if you screw it up ? grind it out and start again.
It's all a learning process. If you decide it's not worth it on this boat ? You mine as well experiment on this one, to see what doesn't work ? There are many here that can chime in to give you more hints. Be patient it's still boating season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JetDeville700

Finally 2 years 9 months ago #145005

If I was younger, I would do that. Did it with my PowerCat years ago, but I was much younger then. And then the PowerCat went up in flames in the middle of a night years ago.

I'm 68 with bad shoulders and a bad back. I think an aluminum boat would suit me better.

Anybody wants this boat, let me know.

Finally 2 years 7 months ago #145364

• cron78
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Frank, I requested a "connection" with you on here even though I'm not quite sure what that means. Also sent yuou a Facebook friend request (my wife's Facebook...I just creep on hers on occasion).

I have a '59 Jet deVille, too. Don't give up....you have done much more than I have on mine. I've had it in the back yard for over 20 years since I popped the deck off. There isn't a single piece of hardware left on her and I am getting close to having the time to get back to work. Hopefully, aI can remember what goes where since it's all in a shed now. First thing I have to do is set in a new transom, so having gone through your pics and narrative has helped. My back has issues, too, so I am on your side in more ways than one.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8260 guests and 2 members online