Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1959 Cutter Jet Deville

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 9 months ago #140144

Just finished matting the other side, so both sides now have two layers of mat. Still need to protect edges, may do later today. May sand later today, but might hold off till tomorrow as we have brutal humidity here today. And I don't want resin dust in my garage! Humidity caught me by surprise (even in my garage!), resin started gelling just as I was finished, but rolled it out, looks good.

Got plenty of chores around the homestead tomorrow when it dries out and cools down some. So I will probably get at it Monday through the early part of next week. We're leaving Thursday for NH for a long weekend. Sure would be nice to get that transom in, but it is going to be a bear to do!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 9 months ago #140192

Test fitted the new transom yesterday, just to make sure! Looks like it will do fine, just needs a tad more attention (like all my fiberglass projects!). Sanded two inches back around both sides for future adhesion.

Sanded the stern of the boat down gradually from 2 inches out to paper thin in, or best I could do. That way I can lay successive layers of cloth from smaller to larger final layers to match original gel coat.

Need to clean inside (especially bottom) today where new transom will sit. Then hope to at least tack in Wednesday, if not completely install from the inside. That will not be fun. Finish of the outside is relatively easy and can wait.

Been very busy with other stuff around the property...

Attachments:

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 9 months ago #140214

Transom is in rough tonight. Needs to get wedged tight tomorrow and glassed in. Was kind of a job getting it in, but I was prepared to do whatever was necessary. Had to cut the stringers back and part of the engine well to get it in.

Spent a good part of the morning between grinding inside where fiberglass and resin would go (i.e., all over!), then a bit of final detail on the transom, basically a quality inspection to make sure everything was coated and there were no spots moisture could get in.

More to come.

Attachments:

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 9 months ago #140219

Transom glassed from outside. Nothing like the smell of resin first thing in the morning!

Guess what? Will be much more difficult to do from the inside, and I did not want it moving when I was in there. So Gregg has the day off, and helped me get it as tight to the exterior skin as possible. I filled the minor side spaces with resin-wetted fiberglass insulation and covered it with a 4 inch piece of mat. Letting it sit and kick while I have something to eat!

Attachments:

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 9 months ago #140220

As a benefit of cutting just enough engine well out to get in my 1-1/2+ transom, I have found I do NOT have to crawl inside to do transom glassing! Wonder of wonders!

First pic is of the outside bottom glass. ( generally do not mix more resin than 8 ozs, and often do just 4. Second pic is one of the inside ends. Did both. Have first layer of everything, except inside bottom. That's next.

I must admit to wonder who I'm posting for. Just me?

Attachments:

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 9 months ago #140223

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
You are not posting for just you. I am watching every step and appreciate your detailed explanations and associated pictures. I am just trying not to interrupt your progress with too many replies. You will have great piece of mind when all is done. One day, I will have to move my transom replacement to the top of the list. At least I already have the old one out. The rotted wood was still wet even after sitting in dry storage for 6 years! Keep up the good work and you might be on the water while the weather is still nice.

Dr.Go!

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 9 months ago #140226

Thank you Dr. Go. No, this boat will probably be done next year. The existing paint is not good and needs to come off, get sealed (or whatever) and repainted, both deck and hull. I think I'm done for the day, will be leaving in the a.m. and not back for a week. Basically I don't have to worry about the transom moving.

When I cut the rear stingers out so I could get my nice new transom in, some of the lower plys were still damp. Not terrible, but I thought after sitting for a few weeks after I had removed the wet foam under the seats, the wet transom, and removed the fiberglass from the top of the stringers, everything would dry. Nope.

Good luck with yours.

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 8 months ago #140623

Last week I finished the transom inside by adding 3 layers of every increasing width glass on the sides and one wide one on the bottom. I may do more, not sure.

Today I glassed exposed stringers in the back I had exposed when I first got the boat to dry the wood out. As I got thinking about stripping the paint off the boat last week, it occurred to me I had more work to do if I want to hose down the boat. Still some minor stuff to do, but not much.

Attachments:

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 8 months ago #140632

Nice, she's coming along great!

Bob
The following user(s) said Thank You: JetDeville700

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 8 months ago #140693

A layer of short strand fiberglass reinforced waterproof filler across the transom to help build it out. Took a quart, and will buy another quart later today. One heck of a lot less expensive than heavy weight 'glass cloth. Sanded with that long board you see. Will finish it with a belt sander and a lot of hand detail, and encapsulate the final product with fiberglass impregnated cloth.

Getting closer all the time with the transom, but still need to strip the deck paint.

Attachments:

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 7 months ago #140727

Have not been back to the boat, but hope to spend time with it tomorrow. Transom still needs help, but I may at least try my paint stripper on the deck, see how it does. Bought a two part kit of Interlux Perfection in Rochelle Red today at West Marine, along with a boat hook. Ordered Interlux reducer for rolling and tipping, and a two part kit of Interlux Primekote, as well as two new dock lines. Shortest I could get was 15 feet, the length of the boat!

By the way, I may have already mentioned this, but I'm not working on the Gator trailer to any extent. The boat is on another trailer and the Gator can wait till next year. I figure I have about 6 weeks of decent weather left, and will concentrate on the boat on decent (i.e., not hot and muggy) days.

Will keep you all posted on how I make out tomorrow.

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 7 months ago #140733

Cool at least your still getting to yours.

Bob

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 7 months ago #140749

A small test of CittrusStrip on the starboard deck of the Jet Deville. I think I need to let the CittrusStrip sit a bit longer than 30 minutes. I can't imagine the gray is gel coat, but maybe? Stripper will probably run me 100 bucks and lots of labor.

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 7 months ago #140752

Looks like a white hull, light gray primer and red paint. Not knowing what kind of paint it is, it all has to come off. I will keep expanding the circle, but tomorrow when I get home from getting an oil change for the F150, I have to get under the foredeck and remove hardware. At some point soon, I also need to finish the transom so I can get a drain tube in. Otherwise I can't rinse CittrusStrip debris off.

Attachments:

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 7 months ago #140755

That brilliant white spot is a repair of some kind. It is slightly above the paint and primer around it.

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 7 months ago #140759

Slow and steady wins the race.

Bob

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 7 months ago #140770

If nothing else Bob, I am slow and fairly steady...

Frank

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 7 months ago #140922

The boat is outside and taking a back seat to my almost done hot rod. The hot rod is incredible more complicated and needs lots of time to get on the road sometime next summer. I don't have a trailer for it, so it has to move under it's own power by late next year.

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 7 months ago #140929

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hot rods need TLC too. I figured you were busy with other things besides the boat trailer and boat. My marine projects have stalled in favor of keeping up with vehicle work on n my tow vehicle. Good luck on getting the Hot Rod road ready!

Dr.Go!

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 1 week ago #142092

Spring has sprung and I'm back at it because I can't work on the 1923 touring t because I have acquired IT Band Syndrome that will not allow me to get down and back up again without stabbing pain in my outer thighs. So first of all figured out all the top coat paint on the boat has to come off. NAPA is getting a gallon of their paint stripper in for me. Also, looks like I need about another 1/8 inch on the transom, so will cut to size a piece of good luan 1/8 inch plywood and glass that on soon as I can (you can see it in the pic). Soon as I can means when it gets warm enough around here to do fiberglass work. Tim Calmes of Paradise Boat Works will be getting me a short shaft 70 horse I-6 Merc, controls for it, and trim/tilt I can adapt. Now's where the wife complains about every penny I spend, but she doesn't realize the deal she's getting! Pics soon.
Attachments:

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 4 years 1 week ago #142103

Glad to see you're back at it brother! She's looking good!

Sorry to hear about your affliction, take it slow. My shoulder is almost back to 100% so I've been back at the Century. I need to post some new pics, maybe this weekend after I bed some planks down in 5200.

Bob

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 9 months ago #142794

Been getting ready to flip the boat so I can sand and paint the hull. Can't see doing the topsides, then regretting not doing this first. Removed everything, including the windshield and put that away for cleaning and wax. Will use VC Performance again, the perfect slick bottom paint for a trailered boat not used on salt water.

Not moving too fast nowadays anyways. Taking my time.

Waiting on some things to finish the hot rod...
Attachments:

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 9 months ago #142795

Yep slow and steady wins the race. Your making good progress keep it up. I had a setback on a couple of planks and had to order some more Mahogany, picking it up Friday. I know what you mean. I do need to post some more picks, I'm over due. As far as hot rods go, the woody will have to be it for me. Nautilus gave me a set of vortec heads for the 350 so I'm pushing it to be close to 350hp, woo hoo!

Bob

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 9 months ago #142805

Very cool Bob.

Got the sides in, but still having trouble removing the steering wheel. Regular automotive puller I have won't do it, so was trying a three jaw puller. Need one or two more hands to get that off.

What should I back these support 2x6's with? Big pieces of plywood? Or would just big washers on the 1/2 inch bolts I'm using be sufficient? Also on the sides, they are flat then curve in, so if I want middle bolts, I'll need shims. Also, I can lift the bow no problem. Can't lift the stern.

I'm planning on using deck screws for the upright 2X6's so they don't penetrate the fiberglass.
Attachments:

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 9 months ago #142816

Large fender washers would probably work but if you have some 1/2 ply and a washer then your sure to have back support and the washer will prevent the nut from pulling into the plywood. The side you can probably put a plywood spacer then drill through and back like I said. The deck screws on the upright should be ok. Do you have a cherry picker? I'm assuming you had one for pulling the engine on the hotrod. you can lift the stern with that. Or if you have some old tires, lay them next to the hull and have a few neighbors come and help flip it over onto the tires then over onto the supports. That's how I'm going to have to flip the Resorter when it's time.

Bob

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 9 months ago #142839

Flipped the boat this morning onto sawhorses I built for it. Right height so I can work on the already once-painted hull. Did some sanding on the transom that still needs work. Found a few holes I could not see before that will get filled today before I scrub the hull.
Attachments:

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 9 months ago #142841

Filled those holes with resin-saturated fiberglass insulation.
Attachments:

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 9 months ago #142844

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Ooooo. Perfect working height. Keep us posted.

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 9 months ago #142847

Excellent!

Bob

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 9 months ago #142878

Here's where I got to this morning. Very hot and very humid (96%) when I did this, so it hasn't kicked yet (the green stuff is fiberglass resin jelly, great for vertical surfaces). That's okay, a bit too hot for this old guy to do much more, at least right away. Next will be hand sanding, then a layer of cloth. I want it be be very smooth before the cloth. That may happen later today, we'll see. Once that's ready for paint (Interlux VC Performance), I'll start on prepping the hull.

Now off to interior house projects.

Attachments:

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 8 months ago #142879

Still not ready for cloth. Maybe tomorrow. Tough day today for any resin.

Attachments:

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 8 months ago #142881

Yep coming along nicely!

Bob

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 8 months ago #142882

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167

PC1000 wrote: Still not ready for cloth. Maybe tomorrow. Tough day today for any resin.

The past few days have been a sauna in our neck of the woods. Good thing the beer is cold.
You're doin' good therre.

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 8 months ago #142886

Another brutal day. Fiberglass resin jelly I did yesterday I mixed hot, and still can't sand today without loading up my paper. Maybe later today or tomorrow morning.

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 8 months ago #142899

Finally a dry day! Tomorrow will be muggy, so trying to get this transom done today. Been a long journey!

Attachments:

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 8 months ago #142900

Might be done once this is sanded. Two vertical low spots on the right in the pic keep getting low after sanding. Plus a bit of detail on a rib. Still might be done today.

Attachments:

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 8 months ago #142907

Think I figured it out. Wide stiff spreader should level that big area out. We'll see later today. Have errands to run.

Attachments:

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 8 months ago #142908

Yup, worked great. A bit more with the wide spreader and I should be ready to start sanding the hull and see what I have. Pics later...

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 8 months ago #142913

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the tips and pictures. I have every for doing this same work someday, but don’t have that big spreader. I definitely will benefit from using something like that in a few areas that would otherwise be more tricky with small spreaders. At least I do have a long sanding board like I see in your pictures. You have been working hard and it looks to be paying off!

Dr.Go!

1959 Cutter Jet Deville 3 years 8 months ago #143017

Think I got the transom flat (finally!). Few pin holes, but will start working on the hull. Sure wish I had an air conditioned shop!

About got the transom flat, but way too hot to sand.

Time to create page: 0.376 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7637 guests and 3 members online