Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 5 years 6 months ago #137791

Now that I've trolled the website enough, I can see this is this place to post my rest project. Please feel free to comment or give advise!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JetDeville700

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 5 years 6 months ago #137792

after pressure washing

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 5 years 6 months ago #137793

Built a cradle

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 5 years 3 months ago #138653

Hello from lower Alabama! Tom here. I have just resumed work on my 1960 Tomahawk Skimate. No interior but I think I have all of the trim pieces and a cool looking Johnson Super Seahorse 35HP motor. I'm currently repainting the motor and waiting for the weather to warm up just a bit to finish it off...

I saw the "Tomahawk" metal Logo you show in one of your pictures. I'd love to have a set of those for my finished project! As of now, I'm just planning to use a vinyl sticker.

Hows your restoration going? How do you plan to finish the bottom? Mine is sanded but I have hundreds of pinholes which need to be filled in the fiberglass.

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 11 months ago #139416

Update on resto.... Built wood seat back to use as mold for new pilots seat, I had a passenger seat to go by. Still need to work on the rear seat backs. I plan to do individual backs, i'm not a fan of the original, id liked to make getting to the back of the boat easier.

Cut and removed old transom and installed new transom, fiberglassed and glued in place, I used 2 sheets of 3/4 marine grade ply for this. I will be running a modern 50HP short shaft outboard. Old transom was rotted.

Cut and fab'd custom ribs for 1/4 marine ply to attach to, this will be my floors.

Fixed hole in keel, I bought some woven roven and pulled the strands out, then laid them where the bad spot was. Looks like previous owner liked to just motor onto the beach.

Currently boat is flipped over awaiting final prep sand and any other minor holes to be filled, then prime! The hull will be white!

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 11 months ago #139434

Looks like you are making good progress, congrats! You did ask for comments or advise, so i'm curious if you are finished with the transom? The reason I ask is, it looks from the pictures that there is original glass at the transom hull juncture. I would suggest reinforcing it with several more layers of fiberglass, as that is where a lot of the strength comes from. Here's a few pics of what i did, overkill no doubt, but nothing ever broke because it was too strong.
Cheers
Bill
Attachments:

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 11 months ago #139456

Thanks for that insight barnickelbill. Id like to think I am done with the transom, I did not overlap the cloth and mat as far as you did in your photos but I do feel very confident in the integrity of the transom. I will be adding a aluminum plate (front and back) to cover the trans where the motor will be mounted, I hope this will help prevent wear and flex to the transom while adding support for the motor. This spirit is not being resto'd to be a trailer queen, I hope to have it in the water as much as possible.

Might you or anybody reading this have any leads on a windshield for the make and model?

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 10 months ago #139698

Adding some pictures of a freshly painted hull. Ford white... I will flip it back over and begin on the topside this week.

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 10 months ago #139700

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I really really like what you did! The seats are terrific. Better than the ones I made up. With that transom beefed up like that you can hang a killer motor. I had an older 135hp Evinrude with an aggressive prop on my first Tomahawk. Could pass up some of those bass boats and watch them drop their jaws :evil:
Just couldn't stand in the back with a full tank of gas without fear of swamping. Nice build up for the 20".
Attachments:

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 10 months ago #139707

She came out awesome, great job!!!!!

Bob

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 9 months ago #140133

Finally finished painting the top side. Currently working on priming and painting the inside of the hull. Then its mount my wheel helm and motor.

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 9 months ago #140146

Looking great!

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 9 months ago #140182

Officially finished with paint!!! Finished up a hot and humid 4th of July weekend rolling primer and paint under the deck, gunnels, seats and floors. Began mounting my wheel helm (Rotary Style). The wheel you see attached came in the package, it will get me by for testing purposes but will not be the wheel I use in long term. I plan to retro fit a vintage wheel to the modern shaft. Next up is mounting my tach, voltage and hour meter. I do not want to clutter up the dash with these components, so im planning on mounting them to a piece of mahogany attached to but under the dash somewhere. Recessed far enough back to prevent water and sun damage but close enough to be visible and look good. Really looking forward to my first test run!!!

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 9 months ago #140184

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Looks gorgeous. Like the KISS idea. Keep It Simple on the dash. I did find out the hard way that there should be some type of hand hold on the port side. Any guests have a tendency when getting in or out to grab the windshield to push off on. $$$$. Solution was to get a cabinet pull and mount it. The solution for a speedo etc was to put in an accessory plug, cigarette lighter from auto zone, to plug in an older GPS. Not only gives location but also speed and a suction cup holds it in place so it can be removed. I've also mounted the accessory plugs hidden under the dash on some boats. The black button on the right side of the wheel is a small digital volt meter, ebay cheap. Had to think twice about installing the radio/CD/MP3 but how else could I play '59 - 60 tunes. Always hang a pair of fuzzy dice when underway B)
Attachments:

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 8 months ago #140620

More progress

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 8 months ago #140621

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Looks fantastic! Doncha just love crawling under that bow on your back hoping that you didn't forget to bring something ya need?
Getting out of that position is even funner.

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 8 months ago #140622

That’s hilarious! You’ve obviously been there because you are exactly right...nevr knew where to put my legs!

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 8 months ago #140631

Looks GREAT! Yeah you know you brought everything, then spend 10 minutes looking for the small wrench that's under your back!

Bob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyco_736

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 7 months ago #140858

• STN19
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
boat looks fantastic, im really interested in seeing how you retro fit a vintage wheel to the push pull box

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 7 months ago #140892

Mounted the motor and front seats, and installed drain hole. Plan on taking it for a test run next weekend. Still lots to do. Had a change of planes on the steering wheel, I liked the look of the stainless, and got it for a really good price. Slowly but surely its coming along, still gotta figure out something with the rub rail.... Thoughts, suggestions on the rub rail???

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 7 months ago #140897

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Maybe 63 Sabre has a few ideas as he has done a couple of Tomahawk boats. You could pm him if he doesn’t see this message.

Dr.Go!

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 7 months ago #140900

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
A suggestion for your rub rail would be to go to a local auto parts store, not one of the retailers like oreilly or autozone. Go to a shop that specializes in auto body work. They have catalogs of trim options from chrome to black. I've used the stick-0n chrome on two boats. Once it's attached it permanent.
Some pics. When I installed it and a year later on the water in New Iberia, Louisiana with the people who bought the boat.
Attachments:

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 7 months ago #140989

Quick update with pictures on the water. Still need to mount cleats and nav lights. I couldn't even back down the boat ramp without people stopping me to ask, "what year is that thing, that sure is a cool looking boat"!!! All smiles over here!!! The thing is a small rocket ship that handles great, the 50 is more than plenty of power! The other boat in the picture is my fathers, its a 59 MFG.
Attachments:

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 7 months ago #140990

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Oh YEAH!!
Get used to the half hour at the ramp. It happens all the time.
Looks terrific. Glad you got a chance to get it wet. Congrats.

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 7 months ago #140991

Hey Cyco! That boat sure looks great on the water! Im about 80% complete on mine. Just finished painting the interior and just need to do some finish sanding/painting of the transom before installing the hardware.
I dont know if you’re interested but i purchased some white edge guard to cover all of the exposed fiberglass edges on the interior. I had to buy an entire roll of 250’ which was overkill but i think its gonna look great when i finish. Let me know if youd be interested in the left over? It has a metal core and presses on pretty snug. Its 5/8” and has a “camera case” finish. I can send pictures if youd like?

Also, im looking for a steering column which exits straight off the dash like yours. I have one but it exits at an upward angle of about 10-15 degrees and places the steering wheel at an uncomfortable position while seated. If you have one or know of a lead i might follw up on, id appreciate it!

Thanks!
Tom

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 6 months ago #141064

Hey cyco....just checking in with you...have you looked into tyco metals for their aluminum trim?

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 6 months ago #141209

@pensapilot do you have a link?

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 6 months ago #141212

I apologize but i had posted a reply to you thinking i was on your thread, but it was on mine. If you look at my thread , all of the info is there...Taco metals, not Tyco. I misspelled it when i last wrote to you.

Let me know if you need anything further....

Sorry for the confusion!
Tom

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 4 years 5 months ago #141238

Attachments:

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 2 years 11 months ago #144501

Hello Gentlemen, Been a while since a posted a update. Rub Rail installed, went with the Taco Metals option previously posted on this thread. Back seats are almost finished. Wooden molds completed and first skin out done. Only need to make skin out of that mold and my back seats are complete. Took the boat to NC Outerbanks this year, road from Swansboro to Shackelford banks up the ICW. Absolute blast and the weather was perfect. My fathers boat is the 59 MFG (pictured). Also got a chance to take my boat to the Florida Keys (Key Largo) during new years. Finally got a chance to test out the new Stainless Prop! It's a little rocket ship! I have a coworker of mine working on recreating the tomahawk emblems now, I had one good one. I looked everywhere for emblem options and all routes pointed me to the vinyl sticker option. I didn't like that option. Scan through the pics, Hope you guys enjoy!

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 2 years 11 months ago #144502

Back seat process

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 2 years 11 months ago #144503

More back seat process and rubrail install
Attachments:

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 2 years 11 months ago #144504

Adventures
Attachments:

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 2 years 11 months ago #144505

FYI. I had a issue when scooting along at a pretty good pace, the boat would begin to porpus pretty badly and trimming the motor didnt help. Tried moving the motor up and down a notch but didnt affect it. My local marine shop Brown's Marine, told me about the "Smart Trim Tabs". I was very hesitant with wanting to install them, basically due to the look of them. BEST DECISION EVER MADE!!!! Thing rides like a Cadillac/Lincoln. Only time you see them is when the boat is out of water so not a big deal. Seriously, night and day difference in handling and the boat just feels more stable in the water.

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 2 years 11 months ago #144506

Hey Cyco! Great to see your post and some activity on this board! If your friend had the ability to recreate the original metal Tomahawk emblems, id be interested in getting a pair too if they are reasonable. Iwent the vinyl route and am happy with the resul but those originals are hard to beat! Im hoping to get my boat back on the water soon!

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 2 years 11 months ago #144507

@pensapilot, Will do.

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 2 years 11 months ago #144508

Thanks!

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 2 years 11 months ago #144509

Have you seen the pictures of my finished boat? If so i wont bore you with reposting....

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 2 years 11 months ago #144510

Which trim tabs did you buy? What size? Thanks! I love your boat color btw!!!

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 2 years 11 months ago #144511

If youre still looking for a windshield, i saw one in the glassifides under parts...i paid about $400 for mine when i bought it...might be worth a look...totally changes the look of the boat!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9725 guests and 2 members online