• Page:

TOPIC: PowerCat 18dc

PowerCat 18dc 7 years 2 weeks ago #131157

• dlatshaw
  • dlatshaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hard to believe I've not logged in for 2 years! Time flies! And so does the 18dc now that her twin Mercury 1000 are running right she's a blast.

I have not had much h time to work on the boat. I had it up at Tim Calms to get the motors right. She has a floor and dual 18 gallon aluminum tanks under the floor. I have a video of her running from last fall I'll post here. Had her doing 35 on the GPS. 17p props and double oil for break in.

Thinking of selling the mfg Chevron and getting a newer bigger bow rider.

Anyway, here is the video.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

PowerCat 18dc 7 years 2 weeks ago #131173

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Nice motors and boat combo and enjoyed the video. I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to talk with the Merc/Powercat experts out their regarding prop selection and rpm. The reason I say this as you would not want to over Rev the motors. If you had Tach's you would know where you are with propping. I do not have this model, but do have a single engine 100 on a 15T Powercat. I need a tach because I fear over Revving. I was thinking that even though this boat must weigh quite a bit more than my 550 pound boat, that twins would help turn bigger props. I bought mine with a 21 pitch 3 blade. Though I have had it wide open for a few seconds 2 separate times, I just feel like it might be over Reving and now am shopping for a Tach. 17 pitch props sound like good power props for getting on plane, but I do not have a good enough ear to tell if they are over revving. You have a great rig with nice motors and I sure would not want to see you damage them if they were over max RPM often. You may already have all of this figured out, so ignore my concerns if you do. You just don't see these boats often, so hope you can keep yours healthy and on the water.

Dr.Go!

PowerCat 18dc 7 years 1 week ago #131179

• dlatshaw
  • dlatshaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the concerns. I'll take any help I can get. That video was the only time I had her out last year. I only had her wide open for a few seconds. What you heard on the vid was 3/4 throttle. I have 2 tachs and 2 matching fuel gauges. Should have them in before long.

I'll have to look up my instructions again, but these two have points and you have to wire the tach back to the motor not to the controls.

I have not checked the PowerCat mailing list in a while. You on it? Or are they mainly using the Facebook page now?

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

PowerCat 18dc 7 years 1 week ago #131185

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have been trying to learn more about which Airguide tach works with my 1965 Merc 1000 (I think it is the #665, but need to read more). I also am trying to search out the wiring diagram as you said it wires back to the motor. I also still have not learned if it needs a "module" to go with it. I probably should ask for Doc Frankenmerc, Ed-MC, or other Merc experts about this subject under the Merc post.
I have not kept up with the Powercat group, but should get reconnected. I do believe they are using the Yahoo thing (I have not checked facebook)...I need to get back in the game on that. I think your boat is way cool! I also like how you connected the hydraulic steering system. by being in the middle, the links to the motors do not "poke" into the sides of the boat and would allow me to mount twins further apart. I am sure on the fence about adding Power trim like you have...the older style would force a closer center to center mounting...but I am not sure how many years I will enjoy lifting the motor(s) by hand. I also do feel having adjustability on the fly would really help the joy of operation. If I tried to convert to the late 80's bracket with built in internal trim, I am not sure how much weight is added, or if it would even fit. At least a short shaft is easier to tilt then a long shaft...but I am getting older and weaker. Something to think about I guess. Any info you can share on the tach's would be greatly appreciated...also results of readings and prop sizes could also be very helpful. Take care and have fun!!

Dr.Go!

PowerCat 18dc 6 years 8 months ago #133031

Mark - let me know what you are looking for on a tach. I ran across a lot of Merc parts and I have a few tachs. And I still haven't done anything with the 64-65 1000 that I have sitting in pieces in the garaqe.

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

PowerCat 18dc 6 years 8 months ago #133033

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I believe it is the Airguide #665 model Tach that I need. I have not 100% confirmed that. I do have a model #666 that I believe is for the 1966 1967 Merc 110's with the more modern ignition (I have the distributor motor). If you or anyone else wants the #666 model, just PM me. Please PM me if you have some detailed information on a short shaft 1965 Merc 1000 (100hp). Mine has a bad piston/cylinder wall at the moment.

Dr.Go!

PowerCat 18dc 6 years 8 months ago #133054

Pretty sure my 1000 is a long foot...

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.609 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9555 guests and no members online