Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Marine Plywood got wet - need advise!

New Marine Plywood got wet - need advise! 7 years 8 months ago #124878

• Dr.Go!
  • Dr.Go!'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
My drain pipe got plugged for the washer and back flooded about an inch of water in by basement. As Murphy's law would have it, I had my Plywood (4x8 cut into 2 pieces and stacked) on the flat floor with a flat table and weight on it to ensure it stayed flat before starting my transom laminating project. It likely was wet for a few hours before discovering the Oh-#### moment. I took it to the garage, towel dried the surfaces...no delaminating or noticeable swelling, but it was indeed warping. I placed it on the garage floor with lots and lots of weight on it after I covered it with other large pieces of thick/flat wood. A day or 2 later, I uncovered it all, checked for surface drying (it had been about 90 degrees or more in the garage for those days). It was surface dry in all spots but one. All the wood was good and flat again. I flipped everything and exposed that one section and re-weighted everything for a week at 85-90 degrees, but humidity around high 60, low 70. Should I even bother using this wood, or buy new and use this for NON-structure things? Should I bring it back into my house and put it on the dining room floor so that I can have it in the Air Conditioning and lowered humidity just below 50% and re-weight it again? Will it take a different drying method to ever be sure it dries inside through and through without waiting a year? I need good advice. I don't want the restoration to start out compromised. This boat needs to last so I can hand it down to my kids and grandkids.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dr.Go!

Re:New Marine Plywood got wet - need advise! 7 years 6 months ago #127243

I'd sticker it with 1x1's on about 6 inch centers and let it dry a week. Should be fine once the surfaces get down to say 12% residual moisture. It may take a while if your days are that damp.

Once you start to use it you will need to treat all the new cut edges with penetrating epoxy to make sure they seal and do not wick to the interior plys. I'm assuming you'll be laminating with epoxy ...

Re:New Marine Plywood got wet - need advise! 7 years 6 months ago #127343

• Dr.Go!
  • Dr.Go!'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Yes - laminating with epoxy. I had done as you said. Weather has been good and dry. Since I have to cut this down from rough size, all exposed edges will be cut off...so I will be able to look to see if any moisture was drawn in far from edges. The rough pieces were initially way bigger on all sides from what I need. I hope to find out in the next month. Thanks for the information.

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6616 guests and one member online