Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration

1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122316

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site, new to boating, new to fiberglass, new to posting on blogs; however, I've read many. I've learned an incredible amount from all of you.

Here is my 1959 Glasspar Seafair, 17-1/2' cuddy skiff. I purchased the boat, trailer, 1959 Johnson Super Seahorse "fat fifty" and a seventies Johnson Super Seahorse 40 hp-- all for $200. I brought my tools and a full compressor with me when I went to look at it. Tire blew out on the highway. Spare held air, luckily. I'll tow a project on a flatbed next time!

I am going to strip this boat down to fiberglass and completely rebuild/refurbish it. I will replace transom, floor, stringers, plus numerous small fiberglass repairs. I will buy all new teak or mahogany and use old wood for templates. I will sand, repair, sand fill/fair, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint the hull and topsides with epoxy materials.

I will buy new glass, polish all aluminum trims, new rubber seals and rub rail, new instruments, etc. I am thinking of shortening the splash well. It is gigantic and I could probably get another 8" of deck aft. Just a thought. I will get all new hardware, bolts, screws, etc. Since I've had to grind almost every screw or bolt out. Stainless? I will polish all metal trims and clear-coat. I brought this home two weeks ago, have made some progress. I look forward to sharing more and continuing to learn from you all.

-Dan
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122318

Here are some pics. I have every screw, bolt, nut, piece of metal off the boat. Took nearly 40 hours. Grinding will start this week.

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122319

Having trouble uploading pics....

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122320

pics
Attachments:

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122321

pic
Attachments:

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122322

I've read of this spring taking hands off.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122323

old trailer tires
Attachments:

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122324

splash well is too big?
Attachments:

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122326

Transom finally clean
Attachments:

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122327

This boat needs everything. My fingertips are rubbed raw from taking this thing apart.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122328

Finally got the cabin off. The hard part was grinding all the 57 year-old hardware out!
Attachments:

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122329

Motor, trims, wiring, hardware, cabin, off of boat. Ready for grinding and sanding.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122356

My goodness, quite the project you have there! Looking forward to seeing it progress!

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122373

Hi Modeler, yes it's a project alright :)
I was wondering if you could direct me to a board member who knows a lot about Glasspar Seafairs? Or someone that could direct me?

Thank you!!

-Dan

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122374

Does anyone know how to remove the extruded aluminum rub-rail metal from the Glasspar Seafair? It looks riveted. Some of these were popped out and I was able to pull them all the way out. Then I pounded them back all the way in. Are they simple mechanical (removable) fasteners? I would LOVE to completely remove the topsides from the hull. I wasn't going to, but all the wood in the bow (under hatch, forward bulkheads, hatch supports etc.) is soft. Also need to repair fiberglass and gel-coat in one spot by the rub-rail (and slightly straighten the rub-rail metal).

Or should I just leave it and sand and saturate all forward wood in epoxy and glass tape as necessary and call it good?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

-Dan

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122375

Does anyone know how to remove the extruded aluminum rub-rail metal from the Glasspar Seafair? It looks riveted. Some of these were popped out and I was able to pull them all the way out. Then I pounded them back all the way in. Are they simple mechanical (removable) fasteners? I would LOVE to completely remove the topsides from the hull. I wasn't going to, but all the wood in the bow (under hatch, forward bulkheads, hatch supports etc.) is soft. Also need to repair fiberglass and gel-coat in one spot by the rub-rail (and slightly straighten the rub-rail metal).

Or should I just leave it and sand and saturate all forward wood in epoxy and glass tape as necessary and call it good?

Thank you!

-Dan

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122376

Thank you!

-Dan
Attachments:

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122378

dfoose wrote:

Hi Modeler, yes it's a project alright :)
I was wondering if you could direct me to a board member who knows a lot about Glasspar Seafairs? Or someone that could direct me?

Thank you!!

-Dan

Unfortunately I cannot. Give it a few days, one will read your thread and offer experienced advice.

Re:1959 Glasspar Seafair Restoration 7 years 11 months ago #122385

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I have never done it, but perhaps search Glasspar Seafair and when searched pop up, maybe you will see names of people commenting that may have them. I would think one message to even one of them would help get several members names to help you out. Nice Boats! Good luck.
Mark

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6783 guests and no members online