I bought this 1969 Anacapri speedboat real cheap on Craigslist in 2011 and ran her for a summer before starting into restoration in two phases. Phase 1 was to rebuild the internal structure and cockpit sole, as the existing stringers I found were actually so rotted they were just a pile of shredded wood. I even found some mushrooms in there. So I got into it and gutted everything. Here's a pic of that. Notice the flat transom "pad" - a flat on bottom - helps iniitate planing.
Go to the Main Forum and "1969 Anacapri" for a pic of the boat on water just after getting the 1984 115HP Evinrude going. Got 40 knots out of her at 4500 RPM.
Went back thru the annals and found this pic of what the old structure looked like before rippin' it all out. Those stringers werent even really taped in, just kind of laying there. Good news was that the basic hull and deck laminate was solid. Built of woven roving fiberglass, not chop strand mat. (Of course there's some mat under the gelcoat which is typical ).
My profession is design and engineering of sailboats and powerboats, in fiberglass and carbon, so I know what good construction should look like. What I saw in the internals almost made me puke.
Here's some pics of the new structure. Found some good Spruce 2x8's at Home Depot, nice and straight grain and light. Spiled them into the bottom, then epoxied to the bottom with West Six-Ten. This is nice epoxy ( albeit expensive ) as it's not brittle like laminating epoxy. You can make fillets with it etc. Jamestown Distributors now makes a similar produce called TotalBoat Thixo.
I then laminated over the stringers with 1808 fiberglass / polyester resin, with the bias of the glass at +/-45 degrees to CL. Thus the glass makes the webs of the stringers and tabs them into the bottom. The transverse frames are 1/2" plywood, epoxy coated and filleted in place.
Fast forward now a few years to Fall 2014, the start of "Phase 2". The boat had been running great, but knew at some point I had to get into some serious work on the deck, repairing delam / rotting core, and then fairing gelcoat crazing and then paint.
Here's the start: lifting the deck, exposing transom plywood which was delaminating too and needed multiple pourings of penetrating epoxy.
Deck is off, and flipped over. Foredeck was originally built with 1/2" balsa core. I knew there was delam, I just didnt know how bad till I cut into inside skin and the core. Pretty bad, all from leaking into deck via the bow cleat boltholes. Balsa core is junked when it rots. This picture shows why. Yes it's cheaper than Corecell or Divinycell foam, and has great compressive strength. But a single breach in sealing your hardware and the boat rots from inside out. As a boat designer/engineer I always spec foam or honeycomb Kevlar or Nomex core.
So I kept cutting away and boring test holes with 1/2" hole saw, removing a plug and seeing if it was dry or wet.
Got the whole family involved! Here's my Father-in-Law getting into it helping me lay up new fiberglass cloth inner skin on foredeck. He did a helluva job, his first time fiberglassing. 18oz fiberglass / epoxy.
Here's a section of deck foreward of the dashboard, full of rotted balsa as well. Here instead of fighting to get a vacuum bag to work over a weird area and multiple porosity issues, I put down plastic sheet and borrowed a bunch of sand from my kids' sandbox.
That deckbeam got some love too. The wood core wasn't attached. I cut away the capping fiberglass, epoxied the core back in, re-capped the beam with uniaxial and biaxial fiberglass, and vacuum bagged it. A pain in the ass.
Deck has been flipped back over and landed on the boat. Originally the deck was just riveted on. I glued it back down with Jamestown Distributor's "Totalboat Thixo" epoxy, around the hull to deck flange all around. Same thing as West System Six-ten. Some screws as well to help clamp it. Here in this pic the boat has been primed with Totalboat TotalProtect 2-part high-build primer.
Heres a pic of the transom. This is all happening in April 2015. During the snowy New England winter I messed about in the basement with restoring small parts. Like sanding the aluminum rubrails and building a new teak dashboard.
Using every clamp in the house to epoxy on the new dash. I dryfit it and taped all around the seam on both the wood and on the boat. Extra care with the tape and no glue to clean up. Best move here is get the tape off before the epoxy fully cures, so none of the tape gets trapped.
Voila! 2 coats of Epifanes 2-part polyurethane, Grass Green. This is a custom color - Jamestown Distributors in Bristol, RI can mix any RAL colorchart in the Epifanes 2-part. The number of choices is mind-boggling. Rolled and tipped it.
Sister ship! Hooray very cool. I did some work on the transom but didnt strip the glass. I drilled a bunch of holes in the plywood in the top and poured penetrating epoxy down in to restore rot. The deck is now bonded down and glassed over the top of transom. I'll message you, lets chat more.
I've learned more about the boat in the past year or so.
The boat is a 1969 Anacapri "Avanti" designed by Russell Weise and Harry Schoell, I've been in touch with Russell. First three hulls were built in 1961 for racing, speeds in the 70's with small block Chevy engines and outdrives, HP in the 400's. In the late 60's they went into production with a new deck design and outboard driven up to 150HP.