Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Removing old registration #'s and decals

Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #693

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Anybody have any suggestions on how to remove old boat registration numbers and decals from fiberglass without scratching the gel-coat?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #694

I use acetone and a good plastic scraper.

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #695

• MarkS
Thanks, Frank, I'll give that a try.

Mark

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #696

Heat gun and paint scraper. Then clean up with laquer thinner. Not a trace left. You may well find fading of the gelcoat not under the numbers when off.

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #759

• MarkS
Thanks Crosby. I do have a heat gun, refinished a baby bed with it years ago. Guess you'd have to be careful not to apply too much heat though, huh! I was hoping to work on it this weekend, but family plans may "over-rule". You know the old saying, when momma ain't happy, nobody's gonna be happy. Between the weather, bronchitis, and momma-drama.........I'm not getting much done.

Mark

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #761

LOL...we have a sign on our back deck...."Happy Wife, Happy Life". Oh yeah. Getting little done here either. Too cold, but I'm in good shape heading into spring. Weather should turn here in a few weeks.

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #762

• MarkS
Windchill in Atlanta this morning is 8 degrees! It takes my kerosene heater FOREVER to get the garage warm enough to work on the boat(s). My poor Cutter is sitting outside shivering, but at least we don't have everything covered in white stuff, yet.

Mark

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #769

3M makes a decal remover in a spray can,
check a NAPA or Auto paint store.

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #770

On the CC, I was able to get the numbers started with a scraper and peel from there. A heat gun would be helpful, but should be used with great care. I have found that acetone and other petroleum distillates sometimes can take the sheen off a gel coat finish. My favorite for this stuff is De-Solv-It. It is one of the original orange oil cleaners. Takes the stuff off and does no harm to the surface. Orange Glo and the rest of those are watered down versions of it. Plus it is a safe and environmentally friendly product. Available at places like True Value. Get the contractor's strength.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #771

If you have non faded areas under the old stickers they will sometimes disappear (or at least almost disappear) if you buff the surrounding area. U have a heat gun and it works great. If you don't have a heat gun even a hair dryer will do the trick.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #1077

I have heard that WD 40 is good for removing vinyl boat letters. I have used it to remove labels from products. I hope this helps..

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #1079

• Erik
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
If you want no damage to the paint/gelcoat, use an auto body eraser. 3M makes one that is very popular and attaches to your drill. hould be able to get it local in any parts place. We used it in body shops and I also used it to remove large old decals off construction trucks... A little wax on wax off and everything looks perfect.

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #1080

• Erik
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
If you want no damage to the paint/gelcoat, use an auto body eraser. 3M makes one that is very popular and attaches to your drill. hould be able to get it local in any parts place. We used it in body shops and I also used it to remove large old decals off construction trucks... A little wax on wax off and everything looks perfect.

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #1081

• Erik
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #1082

Yes, a heat gun works great, but it requires very little heat, depending on the age & thickness of the vinyl. Just the right amount of heat will allow the adhesive to come off with the letters. Too much heat & the adhesive will stay on the boat. Keep the gun about a foot or so away from the surface and heat the whole area first, then gently warm the letter you about to peel. I prefer methyl hydrate (alcohol)to clean any left over adhesive, as it will not leave a residue that might interfere with buffing.
Good Luck
Cheers
Bill

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #1241

• MarkS
Finally got them all off, what a mess! The heat gun did the trick on the outer vinyl, or whatever that was. The letters/numbers were the ones with the reflective background coating around the digits making it a full rectangle. Several appeared to be re-glued on, with monkey snot, that was the nasty part!

One of the guys at work had a can of "goof off" he gave me, so I tried it and that stuff works pretty good too. I think a little buffing will bring back the finish I'm looking for, before applying the new numbers, gotta let my fingers rest a few days before proceeding, however.

SAFETY NOTE: Be very careful not to get your fingers in front of the heat gun when peeling stickers! :S

Mark

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #1242

Good for you Mark! Glad it worked out for you.

I've been painting outboard stuff in the basement (unheated) shop. It gets above 50 I can do light coats and it works okay. Soon as it gets above 50 outdoors, I'll be back at work on my Power Cat, health of course determining that.

Keep up the good work!

Frank

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #1309

• MarkS
Thanks (to everyone) for the encouragement and the pointers, it really helps in many ways.

Frank, I saw the pics of your painting progress over on the Merc Outpost, it's coming along nicely. (I knew you couldn't stand to leave even the unseen parts undone, I'm proud of you.)

It's supposed to get to 60 degrees and above this weekend in the Atlanta area, and no rain for a change until next week. Can you hear Carly Simon singing "Anticipation" in the background? Maybe I can finally get some serious work done!

Mark

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #1881

• MarkS
Just thought I'd share the pic of the new registration numbers on the Glastron.
Really tired now, gotta go rest awhile....
Attachments:

Mark

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #1883

By golly Mark, no one will miss those numbers! Looks really nice.

You'll be back at it in no time.

Frank

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #1886

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Very clean look. Boat looks nice also. I went in on a 73 or so glastron 16' vee hull closed deck years ago with a guy to resell.Had a 175 merc on back.. Talk about a wild ride,but you had to watch how you stopped it cause water would just about pour over the transom! :laugh:

Re:Removing old registration #'s and decals 14 years 2 months ago #1889

• MarkS
Frank, I told the guy who made the numbers for me that I wanted them 3" high to meet regs. He did, but the shadow added another 3/4 inch or so. They look kinda big, but I guess they'll grow on me. If not, they should be much easier to remove and redo next time around. :laugh:

Jim, Thanks, I appreciate it. My 17' is only rated for a max of 125hp, I'll bet that 175 on a 16' was a little "heavy" on throttle and stopping! :blink:

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted