Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: PLEASE HELP

PLEASE HELP 12 years 5 months ago #60195

Hello everyone today i was given a 1950s era fiberglass boat for a little sweat equity. going by the numbers on the motor it is a 1959 johnson super seahorse 50 hp cant find anyway to find the maker of the boat on the dash it says capri and is really cool formed 1 piece interior. looks to seat 5 maybe. has hidden compartment where battery and fuel tankes get stored. anyone knows who made this boat
Thanks
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 5 months ago #60198

A few Photos will help a lot

CAVU

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60199

here ya go
Attachments:

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60200

here ya go
Attachments:

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60201

and another
Attachments:

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60202

1 more
Attachments:

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60204

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Crosby maybe?

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60205

Does that boat have a long nose, or it that just the angle that the shot was taken...If it is the long nose I like. Can you run the IL#. We can run the TXs here in TX , and find the maker and year...Along with the last owner address etc.

CAVU

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60206

it does have the long nose. kindof flat on bottom to the big nose apx 15 ft long

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60207

I just did some looking around on iboats and saw a guy that is restoring a 1959 crosby capri. and some of the post i read said they came with a johnson motor when i ran the serial number on my motor came up a 1959 what is the chance i have a factory motor on this boat and would ther be any worth to the boat and is it worth it to get it in running condition. real cute boat and from what i can see really solid no cracks or breaks
Attachments:

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60210

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Flat on the bottom with a big nose....I knew a gal in college like that. :)

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60211

Without a doubt - it's a Crosby Capri. Nice boat. Almost all outboard boat manufactures did not supply boats with motor packages factory installed. Boats were usually delivered to the dealer with no accessories of any kind. A lot didn't even have hardware or steering installed. Most were made to allow the helm to be on either the port or starboard side of the boat - depending on the buyers preference. Dealers were ofthen responsible for equipping boats with cleats, lights, steering, motors and throttles, and instruments.

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60212

Nice interior shot. At least it looks like it don't leak and it should buff out real good. It should turn out to be a sharp looking boat when your done.Skip.

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60222

From what i have been told the boat has been sitting outside since 1991. everythin you see on the top is like a mold or a moss and comes off with a scrape of a fingernial i dont think im gunna even have to hit it with sand papper a good scrubbing might do it. no key so i will have to replace egnigition switch an all fuel lines. i did pull on pull start and its not froze up ( good) new to the outboard thing any ideas on what i should do with motor before i try to start. any and all help would be greatly appriciated
Steve

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60239

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
You can download a copy of the service manual from my web page-

www.agott.com/glassboat/manuals.html

Under Johnson, you'll want the 58-13 V-4 document.

They are pretty simple motors to work on, i've got two of the Evinrude v-4's, which are pretty much identical... Real gas hogs, though- They are called fat 50's for a reason :)

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60240

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
absolutely worth grabbing and doing whatever it takes for a full restore. Bring it to a self car wash and clean it good with the pressure washer. That will blow all the stuff off of it.

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60246

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The easy way to get that crap off the boat is to set the sprinkler on it over night, or leave it out on a rainy day. Once the moss is soft and saturated with water it will come off with a plastic scrub brush or power washer. (the brush will do a better job) Keep it wet though, or it dries back on real solid.

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60260

thank you all for the info. do you have a place where i could find parts for the beast. I know for sure i will need all new control cables and and looks like hoses and a ne wireing asembly for the starter switch
Thx Steve

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60264

wiring for a new key switch

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60267

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
as far as parts go, there are many resources to look into. ask around on the forum for a specific part and someone may have it. ebay works too. there are many marine salvage yards all around the country that will ship to you as well. many have websites you can browse too. depending on where you are and what you're after, it may be better to make a drive to one of them than to have something shipped. you'll also find stuff on craigslist from time to time. keep an eye out on there and watch the Sightings section here on the forum. never know what you'll find.

i have a 1958 50hp johnson that was pretty well abused and wore out. ended up finding a 60hp Evinrude that was complete and maintained but slightly dissassembled for only $30. i was able to rob everything i've needed thus far off of that motor.

best advice is to keep your eyes open and be ready to jump when something comes up. the good deals usually require cash and don't wait around.

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60282

Well for the Fat Fifty you'll definitely need to replace the impellor in the lower unit along with the gear oil. You'll probably need to rebuild the fuel pump and the carbs. Get new spark plugs and replace the fuel lines with new from the auto parts store. Bring in an old piece and they can match up the size with new ethenol resistant stuff. Marineengine.com carries alot of parts. They also have the parts diagram breakdown for that motor. Go there and enter your serial number. Once you get the parts numbers for what you need you can google it and see who really has the best prices. NAPA carries Sierra brand parts for those motors. I also have a 59' Evinrude Fat Fifty and it's a great motor. Very easy to work on, lots of torque but yep it does suck down the gas!

Bob

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60368

Man oh man i really love all the help i am getting here guys and thank you very much. I spoke with a guy today in New York and we started talikng about dont worry about the motor yet what about the core. is it solid. We talked about hitting the bottom with a hammer and does it sound solid or soft, i walk inside and the floor does giv a bit but im not real small so im not sure on any of it. I would say no cracks or breaks but dont want to put money in engin if it wont stay on the top of the water.
Steve

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60374

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
A rule of thumb I use is not to walk in a single ply boat unless it is in water. Trailers just don't support a boat like water does. In boats with a second layer floor it doesn't seem to matter so much.

Also, older boats prefer bunkers to rollers. Rollers support only small spots on the bottom. Bunkers support the whole bottom in a long line.

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60386

Yeah, make suer the hull is worth it for sure before sinking money into the motor. Sorry saw Fat Fifty and jumped all over it. Of course yo can always keep it for another boat if you decide not to restore this one. Definitely prefer bunk trailers over rollers any day. Rollers down the keel with bunks is a good combo, of course I'm biased there too since that's what I have the my boat has been on it since it was bought in 1960 and hull is straight as an arrow.

Bob

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60403

is there any any other wat to check the integrity of the core without tearing up floor. like i said i was told to hit with hammer nicely and listen for a solid sound and im not sure there. i can tell you this where the boat sits on the rollers and the carpeted runners it is solid and boat is sitting on top and not sunk in. say i drop a few hundred just into getting it running what could i expect if core is not solid. is there anyone that you all might know of that is in illinois west suburbs of chicago that could maybe take a look at it.
thanks again
Steve

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60501

update pulled carbs and cleaned trying to get key switch to turn cleaned gas can will get fresh gas have new plugs and wires want to make sure it will turn over does anyone know the firing order as if your looking at back of the fat 50 as to where the plugs go to magneto. want to see if it will fire before i put money into lower unit figure i will try to get it running and put it in the water to see how she rides to check the core of boat

Re:PLEASE HELP 12 years 4 months ago #60706

Hey nice find!It's just like mine! I have a 1960 crosby capri with a 40hp electric seahorse. my avatar pic is of it. If the motor is not worth fixing and it has a generator i would be more than happy to take it off your hands...:):) here are couple pics of mine.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online