Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Outboard HP for 1959 Dorsett Catalina

Outboard HP for 1959 Dorsett Catalina 12 years 7 months ago #56006

We are newbies to this. We are doing a modified restoration on a 1959 Dorsett Catalina and are wondering whether a 60HP Merc is enough to get the boat up on plane or if we need a 75HP weighing up to 400lbs? We are rebuilding the transom for a 20" shaft motor. Any thoughts will be appreciated!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Outboard HP for 1959 Dorsett Catalina 12 years 7 months ago #56008

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
If this boat has a steering wheel and is under 20 feet in length, and has a 20 inch transom (19' or more is 20)

The Length Times Transom Width times 2 - 90 = HP

length equals centerline length minus swim platforms, bow pulpits etc. I. e. Hull length

Transom width = maximum width including permanently attache rubrails.

L X T X 2 - 90 round to next multiple of five, Example 72.4 = 75.

20 feet or longer you can use what you want.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:Outboard HP for 1959 Dorsett Catalina 12 years 7 months ago #56010

What we have researched is that the "old school" 75HP was 175-225lbs. and the new 75's with the 20" shaft are between 360-399 lbs. We are concerned about the weight difference between the old and the new and wonder if we should be looking at a lower HP motor.

Re:Outboard HP for 1959 Dorsett Catalina 12 years 7 months ago #56017

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I had a 40 H.P. Evenrude on my Catalina when I bought it and that would get on a plane but you had to have everything forward to do it and it took awhile . I put an 85 H.P. merc on it and it jumped out of the water . Your 60 would work and if it's a good motor I would try it. If not don't go anymore than an 85 . Catalina's are pretty tippy because you stand so high in a narrow boat. My 85 went as fast as I wanted to go . If I got going fast you had to make sure people didn't move from one side to the other very fast.
Attachments:

Re:Outboard HP for 1959 Dorsett Catalina 12 years 7 months ago #56024

I want to thank everyone for responding to our questions...What about the added weight of a 350lb plus HP motor on the transom???? Would a 75 HP 2 stroke Merc from the late 90's to 2005 be the answer. We live in Northern Calif. and will be using the boat mostly in lakes at the 1000' to 3000' level...Happy Valentine's Day. Thanks.

Re:Outboard HP for 1959 Dorsett Catalina 12 years 7 months ago #56026

Hey, Any thought on who to have your Plexiglass window glass redone by??? We also need to have a new windshield built. Thanks. Dave and Mimi.

Re:Outboard HP for 1959 Dorsett Catalina 12 years 7 months ago #56030

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Dave and Mimi
Welcom to FG.
I have this guy that does not fit well into my "herd".
1969 80 horse longshaft 4 cylinder.
I am in central Idaho about 800 miles away. The miles usually kill deals, but I would make you a heck of a deal.
Attachments:

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Outboard HP for 1959 Dorsett Catalina 12 years 7 months ago #56034

I had a windshield done by these guys. www.edstonplastic.com/ . Have not installed it yet, but it looks good and their price was reasonable. Shipping, however, is the killer. I would look for some place locally.

Nice boat. Good luck wiht it

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Outboard HP for 1959 Dorsett Catalina 12 years 7 months ago #56046

I think if you're looking for a late-ish model outboard, I'd go with a 1980s or newer Johnson or Evinrude 3-cylinder 70 or 75hp. Great on gas, as reliable a motor as you'll ever find, and they perform great...

Re:Outboard HP for 1959 Dorsett Catalina 12 years 7 months ago #56056

Were on the right track....Out looking for a 75hp with a 20" shaft.I sure see a lot Merc's on these classics...Any thoughts?? Why the Evinrude ??

Re:Outboard HP for 1959 Dorsett Catalina 12 years 7 months ago #56066

I would choose the 3-cylinder Johnrude over any of the 3-cylinder Mercs, at least up to when Mercury stopped producing the 2-carb/3-cylinder model. Even then, the 3-cylinder Johnrude is one of the best motor designs ever. I have a 1980 Johnson 75 on one of my boats and it's been one of the most trouble free motors I've ever owned....

Re:Outboard HP for 1959 Dorsett Catalina 12 years 7 months ago #56123

Dave,

Boy am I glad I looked at this thread. You are next Lower Lake - right?

You are just a stone's throw away from a BIG group of fellow classic boat lovers. California has a BIG following of classic boat enthusiasts. All the way up and down the state. I'm in Redding, and I personally know 3 fellow collectors in the Clear Lake area. There are dozens more in the Sacramento-Delta area. You have many resources for info if you want it. unless you MUST have a new EPA compliant motor (tahoe) there is no economic sense in buying a late model engine. As mentioned by Scott a couple posts back, OMC loop charged engines offer the most bang for the buck. This would be the 2 cylinder 50-55-60 hp models, and the 3 cylinder 60-65-70-75 hp models. The engines were built as Johnson or Evinrude - the only difference between the two is cosmetic. The started making them in the 70s and variations were offered well into the 1990s I believe.

The Johnson or Evinrude "70" will be the easiest to locate, as a pile of them were used as a mainstay for marine power. They were VERY good engines, easy to work on, relaible, economical to run. Most parts can still be found to keep them in service. Just take your time & find a nice one. You should be able to locat a very nice 70 on Craigslist. Look in Sacramento - I saw a beautiful one listed a few weeks back for $600.00

Feel free to contact me about California club activities.

Bruce

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online