• Page:

TOPIC: 1964 Glasspar Gold Cup

1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #43970

• ckayt
  • ckayt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I am new to the forum and hoping someone can help. I just purchased my first boat a 1964 Glasspar Gold Cup but not able to find out any info. The title says manufacturer is Glasspar but the HIN number has WAZ which I found to be Water Ventures Company I think. The boat has a serial number plate on the port side that says Glasspar 16pw and a few other numbers. It has emblems on both sides that say Gold Cup. There is a gas cap on the bow of the boat on the starboard side. I have searched for pictures on the web but not able to find any that looks like my boat. I am now wondering if it is a Glasspar. Any help would be appreciated. I am looking to restore and what to make it as original as I can.

Thanks,
Charlene

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charlene

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #43971

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Charlene. We have some folks who hang around here who are very knowledgeable on the Glasspars, hopefully one of them will have some info for you shortly. One thing that would help greatly is some pics of your boat. The Glasspar brochure for 64 doesn't show that model, so this would be very interesting to see. Take some from several different angles, as many as you can showing all the details and designs.

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Glasspar

If you have any problems posting pics, there is a thread to help in the support section, here's a direct link;
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/7-support/22256-how-to-post-pictures.html

Mark

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #43972

• ckayt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks I have been trying to post pictures I will try the link and hopefully have some picture on soon.

Charlene

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #43973

• ckayt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Got the pictures added. Hope someone can help me out. Also the motor is a 85hp Evinrude not sure of year and the length of the boat is 15.9' per title.

Charlene

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #43976

The boat is a Glasspar. The "Gold Cup" line of Glasspar was their entry level line.

"WAZ" is state of Washington assigned hull ID conforming with the US Coast Guard Manufacturer's Identificatiuon Code (MIC). It has NOTHING to do with the manufacturer of the boat.

Do not pay much attention to the paperwork for the boat. Title, bill of sale and registrations are notorious for being inaccurate.

Andreas

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #43977

• MarkS
Good (and QUICK!) job on the pics, nice looking boat too! Looks like a wet sanding and buff out may help considerably, plenty of time for that during the off season. ;)

Mark

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #43979

• ckayt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Mark, Thanks for the link after I got one picture under my belt I became pro :laugh: It does need some TLC for sure. I just got the her about a week ago. Had her on the water once and didn't have any issues. The float test passed with flying colors. This is going to be a learn as you go project.

Andreas, Thanks for all the info. I was thinking something wasn't right with title not matching the boat all the way. I have looked thru the gallery but couldn't find a "Gold Cup" line. And I have search the web with no luck. Do you know of any pictures that I can look at or any articles that I can read about the "Gold Cup" line? You mentions that the paper work notorious for being inaccurate. Does that ever become an issue?

Charlene

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #43981

You might also try classicglasspars.com for further information on you boat.

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #43983

• MarkS

paper work notorious for being inaccurate. Does that ever become an issue?

Only if you bring it up while registering or titling the boat or trailer! Most times it's better to just let it be, don't try to straighten out inaccuracy's in paperwork. ;)

Just my two cents worth............

Mark

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #43988

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
WELCOME CHARLENE. CONGRATs on a clean Glasspar . That light blue color was used by the truck load in early 60's ... As the small brass tag
states 1965 , "W" for made in Washington , serial # 004 .

. There are no exact sales brochures in our library here for trhe Gold Cup
of that year . Sort of matches the 64 molds of the Avalon or Tacoma 200
series...... Yes there is a sctive Glasspar club on the west coast so ENJOY .
You have my vote of the day.

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #44000

Actually, I ALWAYS try to get the paperwork straightened out. It is not all that difficult here in Minnesota. MN does not title boats under a certain length and old boats did not need titles. So that usually is not an issue. I try to get the state registration corrected. I have been successful on several occasions.

I have a Gold Cup brochure someplace in my files. I thought I had scanned it and submitted it to the Library here.

Andreas

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #44018

Here's a link to the 1966 Glasspar Gold Cup brochure and price list:

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/16-library-additions/44017-glasspar-1966-gold-cup-line.html#44017

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #44027

• ckayt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Andreas thank you for the link to the brochure. Finding out more info makes me happy. Do you happen to know if 1966 was the first year for the "Gold Cup" line? If so maybe mine is 1965 or 1966. I notice the date on the brochure was September 1, 1965 for price of 1966.

Split thanks for color and the Glasspar club info. I'm still not sure how to read the serial number which is 16PW5006. Do you know if there is a website on serial numbers or how to read them?

One more thing while looking thru the brochure I didn't see any that had a gas tank in the front. where mine was located. Just tying to figure out if it was added later by someone else. If I wanted to ever hook it back up are there cons about having the tank in the bow of the boat. Here is a picture of the gas cap and location.

Just want to say thanks to everyone you are all so friendly and helpful to boot.

Attachments:

Charlene

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #44043

Not sure when the Gold Cup line made its debute.

Maybe the Glasspar website has other brochures which will let you know. Same goes for the hull ID. Someone there can probably tell you the meaning.

Glasspar was in financial trouble in 1965-66. They turned over management of the company to Larson Industries in 1966 and later that year Larson bought them outright.

I bet the bow fuel tank and filler were added by a dealer or owner.

Andreas

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #44059

• Rod-B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Glasspar serial numbers during the early 1960's read out information as follows. First 2 positions indicate length (rounded off now and then). Next position indicates the model in one way or another....no Idea where the P standing for the Gold Cup model came from...sorry. Next position indicates the plant the boat was built in...W for the Olympia, WA plant. Next is the last digit of the year it was built. Glasspar did continue as a brand after Larson Industries bought them but the numbering system changed during the '65-'66 production runs so the 5 in yours is indicating that it was built in 1965. The rest of the number indicates build order....so that boat was the 6th Gold Cup built in the Olympia plant in 1965.
Not a whole lot of information I've found on this model. Very much looks like the late 1950's Avalon hull with a slightly different top deck. From what I can tell Glaspar made this model as a budget alternative to their line at the time. Doesn't mean it was a poorly built boat at all...just used an existing mold that didn't require all the costs involved in designing a new model so it was less expensive for the company and the selling price could be lower. I agree that the fuel fill is an addition made by either the owner at the time or the dealer who sold the boat originally.
If you want to pin down the year of the outboard get the model number off the plate...usually on the side near the bolt on mounting plates that hold it in place on the transom of the boat. Someone will be able to give you the year from that number.

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #44065

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
ANDREAS, That is a nice brochure for Gold Cup . THANKS for posting. Our chapter just got a 57 Johnson & 60 GALE color brochure yesterday , so I see they are missing in web library , will ask a friend / member to scan / donate.

Charlene, usually Glasspar brass tag had a "X" next to the length of the model, IF only one name for that length. Like 13 ' was the G-3 . Your 16 also shared with Citation , Avalon, & we see other 16's in the brochure above. Again CONGRATS looks like your hull was 006, very early in the production year.

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #44143

• ckayt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Rod-B Thank you for breaking down the SN numbers for me. You explain it perfectly for me.

I have taken the advise from a lot of you and posted on the Glasspar website forum for additional info in the "Gold Cup" line.

I was thinking the same thing about the bow fuel tank and filler. I am still trying to figure out the pros and cons for have the fuel system in the bow. If it is not a good Idea or safe to have the fuel in bow of the boat then I will remove all the hoses that are still connected under the bow hood. It will be some time before I can start to restore her but figures I could remove the hoses and leave the cap until I start the project.

Charlene

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #44144

Charlene, check this out... (if you haven't seen it already)

fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/16-library-additions/44017-glasspar-1966-gold-cup-line.html

If you ever want to sell your windshield, let me know! :P

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #44145

• ckayt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
JerrfyLube I have taken a look at the brochure thanks. It's a nice brochure

Oh 'bout the windshield, I'll be sure to let you know :lol:

Charlene

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #44879

• ckayt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Question about the drain plug. I am not sure if this is the drain plug and someone sealed it up or if this style of boat doesn't have one.

Also, I have an Evinrude 85hp Model #85493-B SN#J0004131 can anyone tell me the year and maybe what it is worth. I think it is to big for this boat and thinking of getting a smaller one.

Attachments:

Charlene

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #44889

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
...YES, That very bottom round fitting should be a THreaded drain plug.... We had the same one on our 62 Glasspar Sedan model . My 67
Sedan has the smooth rubber plug for the brass tube... All boats will get rain in some day , so a drain outlet is necessary..
. Most likely the threads got striped & prior owner made a patch.
... Also my current wood transom went bad with a crack as the inside wood all wet from maybe top side seepage over the years.. I have the same TWO Bolt steering bracket on inside of splashwell. &
I found those bolts to be only 1/2 the diameter / thickness as new.
Actually one snapped in half when I put the two wrenches to unbolt.! ( Pic BELOW.)
... We see brown rust at all your metal rear fittings. Yes this 85 HP could be a tad heavy for your 16 ft. Maybe find a nice 17 1/2 ft Glasspar with a smaller 60 hp & swap motors.! . You really need
to find a trusted friend & tap / probe your transom for strenght, & or drill out fitting & make new brass flair pipe & caulk for leaks.. We see the top housing may have been Cut OUt for that motor riggging.? another source of water inlet.

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #44917

• Rod-B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I don't have anything around here new enough to get a year from the model number but judging by the hood it seems to be a 1974 model. Value? Real hard to say not knowing what kind of shape it's in. Pretty much have to check one over in person to get an idea of that. Weight should be right around 265 pounds or so...maybe a couple pounds over that. Sounds like a lot but not bad for the power rating compared to a new outboard. If you don't feel the need to go very fast you could stick a 2 cyl outboard of the same vintage as the boat on there at maybe 100 pounds lighter...would need to get matching controls for it. The 1960's Johnson or Evinrude 40hp might move it along in the mid to high 20's depending on how much of a load you stick in the boat and what prop works best for your needs. If you don't care about matching the years maybe a newer 55hp twin or even a 70hp 3cyl would be a nice match. Would use less fuel, too.

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #44985

Personally, I'd leave the 85 on there.

I've had two different motors on my Gold Cup... a 1957 Johnson 35 and a 1959 Evinrude "Fat 50". The 35 REALLY struggled to push this boat along. Low 20's top speed at full throttle, at best. When I stepped up to the 50, I gained a good bit more performance and at sea level, I can get 32 MPH with a light\moderate load. Sometimes, I still wish for something a little bigger though.

The 85 on there should push you along 35-40 MPH with a low 30's cruise. Perfect for that boat, in my opinion. 65-85 HP was the standard offerings with this boat. Not to mention, those particular series of V-4's are fairly easy on fuel if you run them prudently and are bullet proof if you maintain them. I'd leave it. ;)

Re:1964 Glasspar Gold Cup 12 years 11 months ago #45078

• ckayt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks everyone for your input, it has been very helpful.

Split I have a friend who is going to go thru the transom with me. Open up the drain plug and make sure the strength is there. After I read you your post I went and took a look at the back end and it does look to be cut out for the motor. That will be a definite fix.

I am going to have to think about the motor some more and decide just what size I want to put on her.

You guys are awesome B) Thanks again,

Charlene
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Seller
( / Boats)

noimage
09-04-2024

1959 Maurader
( / Boats)