Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: '51 Evinrude - use with throttle, etc. controller?

'51 Evinrude - use with throttle, etc. controller? 14 years 1 month ago #3421

I bought a '53 Wagemaker Wolverine (yes, a woodie, not 'glass, but this is an engine question) with a 1951 Evinrude 14hp motor (#4441). The boat has a steering wheel and throttle/direction controllers, but the motor doesn't seem to be compatible with the ends of the control cables. It seems to be designed for sitting in the stern next to it and steering by it's little tiller handle.

Am I missing something? Is there/was there ever some sort of interconnect between a motor like this and the controllers?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:'51 Evinrude - use with throttle, etc. controller? 14 years 1 month ago #3432

• jon_a
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
if that motor has remote throttle and shift controls then they are very specialized for that one year. the 51 evinrude 25's were not set up for remotes and required special after market controls and modifications. the 14hp fastwin is likely the same thing.

the best way to find the remotes for that motor, if there are any is to post a wanted ad or ask a question in the ask-a-member section over at www.aomci.org

jon

Re:'51 Evinrude - use with throttle, etc. controller? 14 years 1 month ago #3436

HI Morgan;
That motor was never available to be run with remote controls. I have seen one with a home grown set up on it but it didn't work very well at all as the mag lever and the twist grip must be worked together to keep things running smoothly. With the 14hp Model it's best to have 3 hands to operate it! What you need to find a a 1953 or newer 10hp or up Johnson or a 54 or newer Evinrude 10hp up. They all came with connection points for the Shipmaster/Simplex controls to hook up to.

Re:'51 Evinrude - use with throttle, etc. controll 14 years 1 month ago #3438

Al and Jon,

Thanks for the information. There's a 15hp Johnson described as "50's vintage" on my local Craigslist that appears to be compatible with the Simplex controller. They're asking $150, which might just be worth the hassle I'd be saving myself.

Thanks again.

Morgan
Attachments:

Re:'51 Evinrude - use with throttle, etc. controll 14 years 1 month ago #3451

The motor in the pic looks like it about a 1955. Those are good motors as long as they have been taken good car of. If it has 70lbs compression or more its a runner.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:'51 Evinrude - use with throttle, etc. controll 14 years 1 month ago #3493

Hi again Morgan; My advice to you is grab up that 15hp Johnson quick. It is a 1956 model and appears to be in pretty decent shape. Most of em will need a set of coils, new plugs and an impeller to run. The 56 15hp was a 1 year motor for Johnson (Evinrude had a 15 starting in 1953) but 1956 was the first year that both nameplates had the exact same number of models with identical hp. The 56 15hp Johnson is a fairly rare motor as 50's models go and will perform well for you on the Wagemaker. If possible avoid fuels with ethanol in them and mix your gas at a 24:1 ratio using TCW3 oil.

Re:'51 Evinrude - use with throttle, etc. controll 14 years 1 month ago #3494

Thanks. I'm trying to get a response from the person who posted it for sale. This was his description "Nice motor..worked last year but bogged a little at higher speeds." Anything there that should tip me off to bigger problems?

Re:'51 Evinrude - use with throttle, etc. controll 14 years 1 month ago #3496

Yep. "Bogged a little at higher speed'...either he doesn't know how to adjust the high speed mix, or it has a clogged main jet. If the main is clogged it could easily cause engine damage. I would insist on a compression check. If it has good compression, clean the carb, new impeller, coils and plugs and you've got yourself a runner. Most parts available at NAPA.

Bernie

Re:'51 Evinrude - use with throttle, etc. controll 14 years 1 month ago #3497

Hi Morgan; Bogging down at higher speed is indicative of a bad coil, wires, or plugs most often. As the motor warms up the coil breaks down and you lose spark on 1 cyl and of course hp is cut in half. Other causes of the same thing could be a bad float in the carb, collapsing or clogged fuel lines, plugged fuel filter or as simple as readjusting the carb high speed knob. If you go to see the motor take a compression gauge with you if it is over 80psi dry and the cyls are within 5% of each other there is little that can't be fixed fairly cheaply.

Re:'51 Evinrude - use with throttle, etc. controll 14 years 1 month ago #3498

al lockhart wrote:

Hi Morgan; Bogging down at higher speed is indicative of a bad coil, wires, or plugs most often. As the motor warms up the coil breaks down and you lose spark on 1 cyl and of course hp is cut in half. Other causes of the same thing could be a bad float in the carb, collapsing or clogged fuel lines, plugged fuel filter or as simple as readjusting the carb high speed knob. If you go to see the motor take a compression gauge with you if it is over 80psi dry and the cyls are within 5% of each other there is little that can't be fixed fairly cheaply.

Al, we were cross posting. You are correct of course, if it has original coils, they are no doubt cracking and breaking down. The compression check will tell if it was fuel starvation to the point of piston-cylinder damage.

Bernie

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)