• Page:

TOPIC: space saving ideas for a small shop NOW WITH PICS,

space saving ideas for a small shop NOW WITH PICS, 14 years 4 months ago #2473

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
[file/] ,i have a small 14x24 foot shop so space is not easy to get.
so 1st i built a 4x8 foot table with folding legs and put it on casters,i the put a 1100 lb hoist to raise it to the 2x12 rafter supports i put in,1 problem fixed.
next i put my compound miter saw on a computer table that was given to me,and built a stand with castors,so i could roll it anywhere i want,as a matter of fact everything i could put on wheels i did.
next i built these fold up onto the walls tables,so i could get more room on that side of the shop.
i built them by first ripping off the rounded edges which left me with 3 inch wide 2x4s,i then biscuit joined and glued them together on top of outriggers,then added 45 degree supports,and a ripped at 45 degree 2x4 to hold it all up
now when they are in the down position i can use them with my saw by laying 4x4s on the tables,and store things under them,but if i need room to paint a car or boat i just remove the saw and stand on its castors,then lift the tables up against the wall and the supports fit snuggly into the underside of the tables.
i can also use them with out the saw(just the computer table to make a 2 foot x 91/2 foot table.
by the way i also use old fitted bed sheets for a table top cover to help protect it.
up above you can see my shelve system in progress.
please dont pay a lot of attention to my ceiling its a project in progress ,it still needs insulation board.
thanks for taking the time to read this,
sincerely john gibson p.s.the computer table has a space under it for the shop vac,so i can attach it to the saw. [img] [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/garage_tables_003smaller.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re: space saving ideas for a small shop NOW WITH PICS, 14 years 4 months ago #2483

Great man cave.I'm always looking for more space,thanks.

Re: space saving ideas for a small shop NOW WITH PICS, 14 years 4 months ago #2485

Great ideas... A lot can be said for exposed rafters!
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:space saving ideas for a small shop NOW WITH PICS, 14 years 4 months ago #2486

great john,

on the down legs, would a brace for the 2x4 to set in like a rafter brace (or something) where a disconnect pin could be inserted to prevent the leg from popping off...and you project landing on the floor....

just me ADD'ing a picture

Re:space saving ideas for a small shop NOW WITH PICS, 14 years 4 months ago #2487

houston wrote:

great john,

on the down legs, would a brace for the 2x4 to set in like a rafter brace (or something) where a disconnect pin could be inserted to prevent the leg from popping off...and you project landing on the floor....

just me ADD'ing a picture

I thought about that too Houston, but after re-reading it I beleive he ripped a 45 degree cut on the 2x4 that is mounted to the wall for the legs to fit into. That should work nicely to prevent it from popping out, but even a small twist type hasp latch on one leg could be added to help secure it even more. Can't have too many safety points!

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:space saving ideas for a small shop NOW WITH PICS, 14 years 4 months ago #2489

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
classic,your right the lower horizontal 2x4 is ripped at a 45 degree angle so that the 45 degree angle of the legs fits right in it,the table would have to be lifted for the legs to come out,dont forget to screw the ripped peice into the studs all the way across.john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:space saving ideas for a small shop NOW WITH PI 14 years 4 months ago #2509

John
Cool ideas.... nice shop.

Re:space saving ideas for a small shop NOW WITH PICS, 14 years 4 months ago #2515

• spanboatsguy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Here is a Tip for you guys that have a bunch of outboards to deal with. I had racks but it was always a hassle getting the motors on and off so I devised a way to free stand them so you can bear hug them and move them where ever you want them. I had my whole floor space covered with mercs and no room to move. So this cured that, I bought a bunch of 2"x12"x12 and started measuring them to fit the motors like a transum. Short shafts are 28" and longs work best at 32" The motor sits on the skeg and the 2"x12" acts like a tripod so the motors just balance mint. They have to be in the 3rd pin hole so the motor leans forward to put a load on the board. But its cheap and works great. I have a pic for ya so you get the idea but currently there are 28 mercs on stands like this in the shop today. If your like me with 100+ motors to deal with you have to find ways to make cheap cures to big problems.
Cowboy
Attachments:

Re:space saving ideas for a small shop NOW WITH PICS, 14 years 4 months ago #2517

WOW! Great Idea!

spanboatsguy wrote:

Here is a Tip for you guys that have a bunch of outboards to deal with. I had racks but it was always a hassle getting the motors on and off so I devised a way to free stand them so you can bear hug them and move them where ever you want them. I had my whole floor space covered with mercs and no room to move. So this cured that, I bought a bunch of 2"x12"x12 and started measuring them to fit the motors like a transum. Short shafts are 28" and longs work best at 32" The motor sits on the skeg and the 2"x12" acts like a tripod so the motors just balance mint. They have to be in the 3rd pin hole so the motor leans forward to put a load on the board. But its cheap and works great. I have a pic for ya so you get the idea but currently there are 28 mercs on stands like this in the shop today. If your like me with 100+ motors to deal with you have to find ways to make cheap cures to big problems.
Cowboy

Re:space saving ideas for a small shop NOW WITH PICS, 14 years 4 months ago #2518

oops.. double post

Re:space saving ideas for a small shop NOW WITH PICS, 14 years 4 months ago #2519

• spanboatsguy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Just a Note here for inline 6 mercs made after 1968 that have all there skigs ha ha you need to cut the board at 34" and for mark55s and 58s 26". Cowboy or Mad Scientist? you make the call MUAHHHHa

Re:space saving ideas for a small shop NOW WITH PICS, 14 years 4 months ago #2551

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks for the compliments guys,heres some close up pics i should have added,like the hook i used to keep the table up against the wall,just by turning it,and also pics of the 45 degree cuts and rips.
in my next post imgoing to show how the homemade table folds up and hoists into the roof,john [img]the last pic is the shelf system above the tables [img]/index.php?plg=sslfixer&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fiberglassics.com%2Fmedia%2Fkunena%2Fattachments%2Flegacy%2Fimages%2Ftable_in_garage_012.jpg www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/table_in_garage_001.jpg [/img]

---Mark Twain

Re:space saving ideas for a small shop 11 years 11 months ago #67081

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
hi all i was going back in time and reading old posts,i thought i would revisit this one,because im still useing the tables,plus doug and the other fella had great ideas.
over 2 years later there might be a few new folks with a small garage like i have,lol,john

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 4392 guests and no members online