Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Starting a project, but have no idea what it is!

Starting a project, but have no idea what it is! 1 year 3 weeks ago #147847

Hello, everyone. Long story short — I have a boat and have no idea what model it is. Does anyone know?
it is 16'
Short story long — I stumbled across this page while doing some research on an old boat that I have. I am ignorant of classic boats and have never even seen anything like it or the beautiful ones on this page until recently.
There was an old, overturned boat in the woods behind my aunt’s house since before I was born. I’m 37 years old. Me and my brother used to play on it and I never paid it much mind. Fast forward to a year ago, my dad was clearing the property and pulled it out. I really love the lines and couldn't resist to restore it. It belonged to an uncle of mine, who has long passed. Considering that I am halfway decent at woodworking, fiberglass, and seamanship, I figured it would be the perfect project. The only problem is that I have no idea what it is! It has been worked on (terribly) in the past and painted twice. There are no markings giving me any leads. The most similar manufacturers I can find are Cruz-n-ship, Glass magic, and Lake N Sea. I’m still looking through the Fiberglassics library to match a model. Any help would be appreciated. I will post pictures of the restoration progress.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starting a project, but have no idea what it is! 1 year 3 weeks ago #147849

I cant help you with what that boat is, I have had the same dilemma with my project. Don't give up looking, That one looks unique enough, there is a great chance someone here will know it immediately and get with ya with an answer. Now, I have to say, that is a very cool looking old boat. You say it has been upside down all these years? That may have made your life a bit easier. After what I have been through, I would be concerned with wood rot. You may have 3 long wood stingers under the fiberglass on the floor that may be in dire need to be cut out and replaced along with the transom. I cant imagine as old as that boat looks that all the wood would not need to be replaced. But then again, if it was upside down all them years I don't know how the condition of these wooden parts would be. The standard test would be to drill a small hole into the wood areas and see if it is wet, but being stored that way, I would assume the wood would be dry. (this is weird saying wood would) I am sure some of the more experienced people will chime in how to tell if the wood is dry rotted at this time, and maybe how to check it. Don't take my word for it but it would make sense to me to use the same drill method, but instead of looking for wet wood, look for the drill to easily pernitrate the wood and the shavings just crumble to dust. If the wood seems to be still dense in the few test spots. It may be in great shape.

Starting a project, but have no idea what it is! 1 year 3 weeks ago #147852

Thanks for the reply!
I already removed the stringers and transom. The transom core is built. I just have to glass it in. Good lick on your project as well

Starting a project, but have no idea what it is! 1 year 3 weeks ago #147853

Thank you. I am almost ready to get her wet. If you care for a read, It is on this same part of the forums under "restoration project make/mode/year unknown" You may find some answers I had asked on my journey that you may find helpful during your project. If not, ask away here, there are many knowledgeable people here that are willing to help how they can. I never found an answer to my initial question of what do I have. So her name will now be Knot Sure. I have came to the conclusion that it is a clone of a Glastron, but could never find any manufacture that produced her.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)