Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: cable steering VS teleflex

cable steering VS teleflex 1 year 1 month ago #147743

restoring a 59 Glastron Fireflite, I bought another guys partially finished project!! The cable steering pulleys and guides were removed and the access holes for the cable in the motorwell has been glassed over when the transom was repaired.
I have the original steering wheel assembly. I also have an aftermarket teleflex system.
Any thoughts on retro fitting the teleflex system? And how difficult are finding the pulleys, guides, etc. and putting the cable system back in play. This is my first rodeo in a boat restoration. Any guidance is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cable steering VS teleflex 1 year 1 month ago #147745

Unless you are a purist, update to newer style. the most complicated task you will have will be cutting a little larger hole in the dash to accommodate the newer steering hub assembly if needed, and measuring for the correct cable length. Too short wont work, too long may work but could have issues with the extra cable. The only other possible issue you may have is hooking it up backwards and it steer the opposite direction you want it to go. but that is an easy fix once discovered. This will be the most reliable set up.

If you want to keep it original style, Im sure you can find the parts its pretty simple. 2 pulleys straight across from the steering assembly, these usually attach through the rub rail, then 2 more pulleys aft. then 2 more pulleys attached at the outboard. The cable goes around the steering through all the pulleys and back to a cable spring that would attach to the port and starboard side near the back pulleys. The springs at the end keep the cable tight. I replaced mine with newer and tossed all the parts out. It all looked like your typical close line pulleys, including quality. I was glad to toss it out LOL.

We would love to see pictures. Hope the project is far along. I'm almost 1 year and 4 months into mine and hoping to splash her soon.

cable steering VS teleflex 1 year 1 month ago #147747

Thanks for your reply. I am worried about how the teleflex hub will have to be attached, but I'll play with it..
If I had an original windshield I might revert to the pulley/cable system. The aftermarket windshield is okay but I'd love to have an original....
Attached if a photo of where the project stands as of today. The 1961 50Hp Merc is in process of being rebuilt. The bench seats are at the upholstery shop. The boat stands will be here soon and the hull comes off the trailer and the trailer goes to the sandblaster..
I hope to have the maiden voyage Memorial Day!!!!

Attachments:

cable steering VS teleflex 1 year 1 month ago #147749

I am going to assume you only have the hub. do you not have the mounting plate? if not you can find them on Amazon in straight or with a little angle to bring the steering wheel up a bit. This is what I used on mine.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AQQSK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

And thats a cool looking little boat ya got there!

cable steering VS teleflex 1 year 1 month ago #147750

The boat looks great!

cable steering VS teleflex 1 year 1 month ago #147753

I have the mounting plate. I would like to use the original bezel and steering wheel IF i can make it work. I may have to add a piece of something to the bottom of the dash to make all that work but I don't want it to look crazy either.
Once I get it figured out I'll shoot you a pic.

cable steering VS teleflex 1 year 1 month ago #147754

It would look better if I could find an original windshield!!!!!

cable steering VS teleflex 1 year 1 month ago #147758

I tried for a short time and gave up to use my original bezel. I gave up quickly. I can admit I am not great at fabrication of making things go together that dont belong. Now as having a history in wood working. I could have fabbed up some thing out of wood but not the look I was going for. Maybe when I get a few, or more than a few years older I will try a wood boat restoration. If it was on the shorter end of a few years older, maybe build a little wood speed/race boat of some kind for S & G's

• Page:
Time to create page: 3.583 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)