Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1961 Sabre Craft skidding in turns

1961 Sabre Craft skidding in turns 1 year 2 months ago #147565

I've inherited a 1961 Sabre Craft Debutante with a 125 hp outboard. I think it might have come with a smaller engine originally. I'm hoping to get back into nice shape.

One issue it has its that when turning sharp the back seems like end is skidding sideways. It very quickly ends up pointed in the wrong direction. Scary and dangerous.

Any ideas on what causes this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1961 Sabre Craft skidding in turns 1 year 2 months ago #147568

I'm not at all familiar your boat, but if you look it up in the library section, it came with an 80 hp motor. So the extra horsepower and weigh would definitely contribute to the problem. Also most boats of that era were "flat bottom", so had inherently poor handling characteristics.
Cheers

1961 Sabre Craft skidding in turns 1 year 1 month ago #147605

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
I Found a picture of the 1959 model of your boat. I agree with barnickelbill. Also the bottom depicted is not totally flat, its a very shallow modified vee, with a slightly rounded bottom. If it does not have a skeg on the center line this would contribute to the skidding. Plus the higher horsepower engine would have a lot more torque at the prop contributing to its tendency to swing the stern out in a turn. Dropping to an 80 would probably reduce this tendency. Notice I said reduce, not eliminate. A couple of strakes on the bottom would probably eliminate it. From pictures I have been able to find it looks like in the 70's they added lifting strakes to the bottom of many of their models, ala C. Raymond Hunts famous Bertram 31 in 1961.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

1961 Sabre Craft skidding in turns 1 year 1 month ago #147618

Usually a heavier engine will help plant the stern a bit better. Adding a couple strakes will work, a turn fin will also work or just get used to driving it and run it within its limits.....it does have a throttle!

1961 Sabre Craft skidding in turns 1 year 1 month ago #147622

Whatever size motor is used, improper motor tilt angle and cavitation plate height can certainly cause the bow-steering effect described.
Another thing to check is whether or not the keel area has developed a hook from an improperly supporting trailer or failing stringers.
doc

1961 Sabre Craft skidding in turns 1 year 1 month ago #147633

Totally agree with trim angle. Certain boats will definitely bow steer or hook and spin when turning if the engine is improperly trimmed under too far. A bottom hook will unfortunately accomplish the same thing.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)