Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: can i sandblast the boat?

can i sandblast the boat? 1 year 5 months ago #147282

I'm considering sandblasting two 1950 fibeglass boats I recently purchased. One is Glastron Fireflite and the other a Larson Thunderhawk Jr. Does anyone have experience with sandblasting their boat? Both have multiple cracks in the gelcoat and the Larson has a cracked hull to repair. I'm thinking that blasting will knock off all the old oxidation quickly and allow me to patch and apply a new layer of fiberglass to both of them. I've followed and watched Boatworks.com and he seems to only grind surfaces. That seems to be a long dirty and itchy process. Thoughts?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

can i sandblast the boat? 1 year 5 months ago #147283

I would think sand blasting would very quickly eat away more than you want. In my personal opinion it would be a bad idea. there may be alternative products you could use other than silica that may be less aggressive. but in any way using a sand blaster outside of a small sandblasting booth is in itself very messy and you should use the same protective gear if not more using a sandblaster.

can i sandblast the boat? 1 year 5 months ago #147285

Absolutely not! Do not sand blast, as Lenny said it will take way more off than you want and you'll end up making more work for yourself. Good old wet sanding then polishing.

Bob

can i sandblast the boat? 1 year 4 months ago #147442

You can use a sandblasting rig and get superb results. BUT. It takes good equipment, and practice to do the job. You must keep the nozzle moving all the time and not pause. I used #50 mesh sand in a friend's commercial blasting yard. You either need to hire someone to do this, or get someone to let you use their commercial facility. You need a compressor that can deliver ungodly amounts of air. The blasting nozzle I used looked like a small fire nozzle and the hose was about 2" diameter. I had to sling the hose over my shoulder while using it. You must use a suit supplying fresh / filtered air safe for breathing. This part is essential. I stood way back from the hull until I could get the pattern and cutting that I desired. It goes VERY fast.

can i sandblast the boat? 1 year 4 months ago #147446

Thanks Bruce I'm going to do it this winter. I'll have a mobile blasting service do the actual work. I've used them before and he's very careful. The plan is to split both boats and do inside and out. Then apply a few layers of chopped mat both in and out. I also have a friend who finishes drywall and he will do the fairing coats...should be interesting. I have a rotax and pump out of a Seadoo for the Larson for power and will blend the bottom of the waverunner into the boat hull. The Glastron is going back stock. I have a 1960 Mercury 60 hp for it and plan to sell it when done. I'll keep the Larson it just looks to cool to let go.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6096 guests and one member online