So I 've been having some thoughts as of late about the actual pitch of the floor in the Seafair. I have read that any water that gets inside the cockpit on deck tends to find it's lowest point near the front by the cabin door area. This seems counter to how it should be designed. I had always thought that the Seafair deck along with the weight of an engine on the transom should sit the bow higher, allowing any rain water (or seawater) to find it's way toward the drain holes at the back. Then I noticed this pic of Mama Mia!
Clearly the deck drain plugs are visible below water line. I'd always assumed you could just leave the plugs out while docked and if it rained, well, the water would just drain right back out. But I guess that's not the case.
Unless told otherwise, I imagine now I will probably need to have the drain plugs in all the time, and have to get creative with a couple bilge pumps. Likely one aft near the transom (although access with the 1959 splashwell is pretty much nil) and perhaps most importantly, one forward near the cabin door threshold. perhaps a fiberglassed-in box to either side of the center stringer, with a pump in each box and a flush with floor grate to let the water in.
I was hoping to have a battery cut off switch to kill all power when not in use, but I suppose now it'll have to remain live for the pumps to do their job. I just find it hard to believe that the floor wasn't designed to be self draining.
I could use a cockpit cover as another option, but just trying to design in any necessary fixes to certain flaws. (Sorry, Bill Tritt!)
I recently did a full restore on my dorsett san juan. It also had deck drain holes in the same place as your boat. I didn't see the point of them so I filled the holes when I replaced the transom. There is no reason for drains there except for if you had the boat on the trailer uncovered through the winter. And no one here is doing that anyways.
Regarding the bilge pump. I have all my electronics and engine wired through a battery switch. However the bilge is wired directly to the battery. And I have the electronic sensing type (not mechanical float switch). Great setup in my opinion.
Finally it is true on my boat as well that the water collects in the front of the boat, not the back. This is just due to the hull shape. What I did during my restoration was put a 4" deck lid on the floor of the cabin interior so I can check on the status and stick a shop vac in there if needed.