Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Member Finally working on a '59 Larson Pla-boy

New Member Finally working on a '59 Larson Pla-boy 1 year 8 months ago #146943

Greetings from Washington State! I have trolled this website off and on for years dreaming about restoring our little runabout that we purchased almost 20 years ago! For 20 years, this poor little boat sat in our backyard patiently waiting her turn. Well, it's here! I am finally working on her and although I am mechanically inclined and a good DIY'er, there is a ton I don't know. The boat was somewhat gutted when we purchased/saved her and so we have a few mysteries to solve (mainly wiring/battery placement, Merc mark 58 issues, etc.). That said, looking forward to meeting new friends and advisors here (finally) on Fiberglassics!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Member Finally working on a '59 Larson Pla-boy 1 year 8 months ago #146946

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome. You most certainly came to the right place. Lots of professional experts here with advice that can save you hours of your valuable time with shortcuts and some areas where shortcuts are not a good idea.
You will also have to be a little tolerant with some well-intentioned sarcasm. We like pictures, lots of pictures.

New Member Finally working on a '59 Larson Pla-boy 1 year 8 months ago #146948

Well sarcasm is my middle name! Plus, I love pictures too. I'll take a few tomorrow morning and post them. That way, everyone can start their weekend with a good laugh!

New Member Finally working on a '59 Larson Pla-boy 1 year 8 months ago #146950

Well welcome aboard officially, lol. Glad you're here and yep plenty of advice on the site. A lot of folks who've been doing this a long time. Can't wait to see the pics and feel free to start flinging the questions!

Bob

New Member Finally working on a '59 Larson Pla-boy 1 year 8 months ago #146954

Although physically limited these days to help,...I know a LOT about old Mercs that include the Mark 58.
And,...I am also in the great state of Washington located on the SW edge of Puget Sound.
So when you're ready,...Send me a PM and I'll share my direct contact info with you so I can help you with the old Merc in any way I can. (I also have a TON of related parts for that beast).
doc

New Member Finally working on a '59 Larson Pla-boy 1 year 8 months ago #146965

Thank you Doc! I know a little about engines and have been known to wrench here and there. Still, somethings just require expert knowledge and well, I'm more of a hack.

Southwest Sound you say? I'm guessing I'm only a good hour or so from you....how awesome is that??!!!

New Member Finally working on a '59 Larson Pla-boy 1 year 8 months ago #146966

Ok, so I'm a day late with the pictures but here they are....I've already gutted the boat and started in on gelcoat/fiberglass repair. The previous owner actually cut out some of the fiberglass because he didn't want to disconnect the wiring harness from junction box and so made a larger hole to pull out the box. I guess he was in a hurry. That said, for about 20 years, I have stared at the opening thinking about the day I would fix it. Egads. 20 years. In my defense, we did own a 34' wooden sail boat which kept us busy....too busy. Anyway, one of the pictures shows the repair so far.

Not much to look at now but I am hoping for a decent result in the end.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7082 guests and no members online