Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Should I buy this '62 Owens????

Should I buy this '62 Owens???? 1 year 8 months ago #146938

This popped on my local (Seattle) Facebook marketplace, and very tempting. In fact, I'm meeting the guy Friday to take a look. I grew up on the NC coast around boats most my life, have built some woodies, and have had lots of friends out here with boats, but this will be my first boat I own outright. What are some things to look for when checking it out? The original engine concerns me. I'll copy the post:
Thanks for looking.

Hello, I am listing a 1962 Owens Stafford/Exeter. This boat is completely original. It is 19 feet. I am the third owner and have been using it regularly in fresh water for the last year. It has so many cool details from the 60s. The motor is the original 1962 Mercury 1000 Kiekhaefer. This is 100 hp and the largest available at that time. Last year I sanded and revarnished the wood. Motor got a tune up last year and I have regularly changed spark plugs and used ethanol free fuel. Starts right up and runs down the lake. Has original top and then I have a tonneau cover being made. Was supposed to be done months ago but that will come with it also. Everything is Original. I have a ton of original documents and a whole bunch of neat time pieces from the original owner. I have more photos and video I can text or email. Trailer is the original that came with the boat but has been upgraded to standard size tires and electric brakes. Has new wiring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Should I buy this '62 Owens???? 1 year 8 months ago #146939

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
It's a really nice boat with a great engine, good lines, a pedigree and it's turn key. Everything seems to have been well taken care of. If it has a good trailer, a clear title and you can grab it for $5K or less, I'd say go for it. If a little more, give it some serious thought. The price of a new 19' cruiser might help you to decide.

*** I just found it on Seattle Facebook. $3,500...if it passes a check ride, buy it!

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Should I buy this '62 Owens???? 1 year 8 months ago #146940

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Ditto… Nautilus has solid advice and knows the boat world well!

Dr.Go!

Should I buy this '62 Owens???? 1 year 8 months ago #146941

Thanks for the advice, its looking like I'll end up getting it as long as I can get my ducks in a row with finding a slip and everything. Should the old motor be a concern? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and decent at basic stuff on outboards, but I wonder if I'll run into issues, and if so part availability.

Should I buy this '62 Owens???? 1 year 8 months ago #146942

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
There are guys on this site who can get you any part you might need and talk you through any problems. If I were you, I'd put a deposit down on that boat...now, or just buy it outright. Figure out logistics later. Strike while the iron is hot. I'd buy it myself if it weren't 2,800 miles away.

"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Should I buy this '62 Owens???? 1 year 8 months ago #146949

Dustin welcome aboard. Sorry I'm late to this I was out of town. Yep good advice from Nautilus. GET THE BOAT!! Looks to be in great shape and if everything works it won't last long. The motor is a great motor and there is a lot of advice on the Merc Forum on here. The good Dr. Frankenmerc knows the Mercs like the back of his hand. He is a wealth of knowledge!

Bob

Should I buy this '62 Owens???? 1 year 8 months ago #146986

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
So...Did you buy the boat?

"Success makes...

Should I buy this '62 Owens???? 1 year 8 months ago #146989

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Well?? Curious people want to know.
With a trailer in the purchase you really don't need a slip. Do as Jan says and BUY THE BOAT. You can get even at a later date.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8120 guests and one member online