Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Glasspar Safari Transom corner crack.

Glasspar Safari Transom corner crack. 1 year 8 months ago #146828

Hi,

This is a 1959 Glasspar Sefair.

Transom/custom splash well, Deck and stringers were done by previous owner. I re-powered from a 50 H.P. 2-Stroke Johnson to a 90 H.P. Nissan 20-Stroke TLDI weighing in at 315LBS and I have a transom kicker which weights about 60LBS. I have about 40 Hours on it with this configuration. Recently noticed what I think is a new crack, (see pictures). My understanding is the original splash well served as additional structural support for the transom. Does that crack seem to be in an area of much stress? I was thinking of brushing on some west systems epoxy then paint and put the metal cover back on with 3M Marine Sealant and keep an eye on it.

Any advise on if that sounds good or if I should do more to shore things up.

Thank You.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Glasspar Safari Transom corner crack. 1 year 8 months ago #146834

I am sure someone else with more hands on experience will chime in, but that is a very high stress point of your transom. All of the torque of your motor is pulling back on the top of your transom every time you hit the throttle. This should be addressed before you have a major problem.
Bill

Glasspar Safari Transom corner crack. 1 year 8 months ago #146842

I cleaned up a bit more exposing more of the underlying wood piece. I think its a seem where previous owner mated up the hardwood piece extending upward which had the metal hardware screwed to it. The outer edge is glassed up to the edge and the inner edge as well. At minimum I wanted to saturate the wood piece and possibly wrap it with some fiberglass. Right now trying to determine if the white material is gel coat of paint which may sway me to use Polyester Resin v.s. epoxy.

Any advise appreciated.

Thank You
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)