Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: HP Ratings 50s/60s vs. Current Documentation

HP Ratings 50s/60s vs. Current Documentation 2 years 1 week ago #146449

Hello, I understand vintage motors and current motors have their horsepower rated differently. I located the vintage OBC horsepower to size recommendation chart on this site. Does anyone have a published chart that shows what the conversion factor is or an "old HP to new HP" chart or can point me to one? Thanks in advance for your assistance, I did some searching here but didn't find one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

HP Ratings 50s/60s vs. Current Documentation 2 years 1 week ago #146451

Isnt the difference that the older models rated HP at the crank while somewhere in the 80's they started measuring the HP at the prop? If this is true then there really wouldnt be a conversion for it would there? As each make/model would loose different amounts of HP going through the lower units.

HP Ratings 50s/60s vs. Current Documentation 2 years 1 week ago #146452

From everything I have been told, it is about 15%. Using that, an older 100 HP is about the same as a newer 115. It does vary some between motors, depending on lower unit gear ratio ect.

HP Ratings 50s/60s vs. Current Documentation 2 years 1 week ago #146455

All Dunn II wrote: From everything I have been told, it is about 15%. Using that, an older 100 HP is about the same as a newer 115. It does vary some between motors, depending on lower unit gear ratio ect.

I have read about the same. 15% to 20% (I think this is a stretch) but you have that reversed? now that the manufacturers rate the motor at the prop, the newer 115 actually have more hp at the crank? meaning the older 115 hp is about the same as a newer 100?

This is one quote I picked up from another forum that seems a lot more reasonable, "the difference in flywheel and propshaft ratings came out to be 3-4%. You'll hear a 10-15% difference thrown around a lot, but I've never seen any justification"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5821 guests and 4 members online