Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1971 Marlin tri-Hull with Mercury 1350

1971 Marlin tri-Hull with Mercury 1350 2 years 2 months ago #146176

Started this project with my dad about a month ago and we’re almost finished. We’re trying to figure out what to ask for it when it’s done but I can’t seem to find much to compare it to. It’s been garaged it’s whole life (not been out of the garage in the last 20 years. All original interior and exterior in near perfect condition. New battery, impeller, trailer tires, hand winch and caster wheel. Fresh coat of wax. This thing looks incredible especially for a 50+ year old boat. I realize it’s worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but any insight into where I should start would be appreciated. I really enjoyed bringing this classic back to life so I’m sure it won’t be the last boat restoration I do. Pics attached
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1971 Marlin tri-Hull with Mercury 1350 2 years 2 months ago #146179

Tha looks to be in great shape, with more power than you need LOL Should make a fun runabout. I've been looking at vintage OB runabouts as a second boat to my Slickcraft - as if I need another project! I was thinking a trihull might make a safe and stable platform for jaunts in protected waters with the grandkids.

1971 Marlin tri-Hull with Mercury 1350 2 years 2 months ago #146181

We are going to take it out on the water as soon as we get it done. The neighbor we bought it from said it’s fast. We have to take it for a rip before selling it. Then we’ll look for the next project.

1971 Marlin tri-Hull with Mercury 1350 2 years 2 months ago #146182

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Coupla things to consider. Yep worth only what someone is willing to pay is true but you gotta find the right someone.
Depending on where you live makes a huge difference. For quite some time tri-hulls were out of favor said they ride rough. I never found that to be true. They are the most stable boat around with lots of room.
All that said I would suggest three things, Ebay, Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. Ebay is going to take a chunk out of the sale price, Craigslist is loaded with scammers so seller beware. I found Facebook market place a good alternative 'cuz you can correspond right with a potential buyer instantly.
Ask a reasonable price and it will sell, Description and lots of pictures will help a lot. Throw out a high end value and see what response you get. You can always lower your price but never can raise it.
For example start out at $20,000. Not a bad price for a nearly new complete ready for water rig with tralier, motor, throw in a life vest, maybe an anchor etc.
If you're looking to get $15000. you'll have lots of wiggle room. People love to go for boat rides. Offer demonstrations and let them drive, they'll be hooked. The deal killer is when a guy says let me talk to my wife....
Not that I've ever done this before :dry: Just sayin.
Good luck.

1971 Marlin tri-Hull with Mercury 1350 2 years 2 months ago #146183

Thanks for the input, I definitely prefer marketplace because it is much harder to scam. Other than the annoying “is it still available” crap it’s seems to be the best option even though it narrows the market a bit. I guess in today’s overinflated prices for everything I’m safer asking a higher price but I just wasn’t sure what kind of value these old boats hold. Just fired it up yesterday for the first time in 20 years and that old 6 cylinder two stroke sounds amazing, can’t wait to hit the water with it next weekend.

I did a little YouTube series on this boat, this is the fourth episode with the 20 year cold start.

1971 Marlin boat restoration Pt. 4 - first start in 20+ years

1971 Marlin tri-Hull with Mercury 1350 2 years 2 months ago #146186

For example start out at $20,000. Not a bad price for a nearly new complete ready for water rig with tralier, motor, throw in a life vest, maybe an anchor etc.
If you're looking to get $15000. you'll have lots of wiggle room.

Are you suggesting this 1971 Marlin with a sweet mercury is worth $15,000 USD? Yikes...

1971 Marlin tri-Hull with Mercury 1350 2 years 2 months ago #146188

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Right price, right buyer.
Years ago I sold my '59 Herters with a Gator trailer, 40hp merc to 5G. Last year it was listed on Craigs for $15G
Just sayin' worth a shot
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6896 guests and 2 members online