Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Motor choice for Razorback Fury

Motor choice for Razorback Fury 2 years 5 months ago #145516

I'm fairly new to vintage runaboats but recently picked up my 2nd boat, a 1964 Razorback Fury. The VIN plate has a hull# listed but no HP or passenger rating. In my limited experience I'd say the boat could use somewhere between 50-75hp. I'd prefer something a bit more modern than a period motor and preferably some form of fuel injection. I'd also consider something older but reliable and reasonably easy to get parts for.

Questions:

-the transom height is 15 1/2". The boat needs a new transom... should I extend the transom up to 20" since it seems to be much easier to find that length in that size motor?

-is the 4 1/2" difference going to cause me performance and handling issues if I purchase a 20" and install it on a 15 1/2" transom?

-are there any motors available that I should be considering that would be optimal with the 15 1/2" transom?

Thanks, Brian

File Attachment:

File Name:
File Size: 0 KB

File Attachment:

File Name:
File Size: 0 KB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Motor choice for Razorback Fury 2 years 5 months ago #145542

Mercury Marine has a 60 hp short shaft(15").
The following user(s) said Thank You: Problem Child

Motor choice for Razorback Fury 2 years 5 months ago #145543

Sorry late to this one, but I would say a 50/60 wouled be plenty. You mostly have to worry about weight than horsepower, unless you install transom supports undr the back deck. A few folks have done that on their boats. Don't forget the 4 strokes weight more than the 2 strokes.

Bob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Problem Child

Motor choice for Razorback Fury 2 years 5 months ago #145561

bayoumerc wrote: Mercury Marine has a 60 hp short shaft(15").

Is that a current model or vintage? If vintage, do you know what the last model year was?

Thanks! Brian

Motor choice for Razorback Fury 2 years 5 months ago #145562

Waterwings wrote: Sorry late to this one, but I would say a 50/60 wouled be plenty. You mostly have to worry about weight than horsepower, unless you install transom supports undr the back deck. A few folks have done that on their boats. Don't forget the 4 strokes weight more than the 2 strokes.

Bob

That was my thought as well though I haven't looked at the specs yet on motors that I've been browsing. With such a low transom height I'm sure I have to be careful to keep it as light as possible. I'm fine with a 2 stroke but would prefer something more modern than the '62 Merc 500 that's on my Texas Maid.

I plan to remove the deck to facilitate the transom replacement. When it comes to weight, I'm more concerned about the trim of the boat as opposed to strength. If I need to raise the transom to 20" to expand my motor choices, I would laminate in a slab of G10 plate only in the specific region of the motor clamps so the the modification would be barely noticeable.

I won't begin this restoration until spring so I have plenty of time to consider options. Thanks for the help!

Brian

Motor choice for Razorback Fury 2 years 5 months ago #145563

bayoumerc wrote: Mercury Marine has a 60 hp short shaft(15").

I see you're correct, and a current product too... www.mercuryracing.com/engines/r-series/60r.html

My budget will be more in the used market though ;)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)