Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Granddad's 1959 SeaFair

My Granddad's 1959 SeaFair 2 years 5 months ago #145491

This is my Granddad''s 1959 Seafair. It's been around ever since I can remember. I know he bought it used in the early '60's. I've had it since he passed away in '82. The "Gayle Marie" was put on by the original owner.

It (obviously) has never been restored. I know it's not much to look at, but I haven't used it much the last ten years. Hopefully that will change.

When I was about 12 he took it into a huge boat shop in Houston. I remember it lying on its side and guys doing fiberglass work on the bottom. I'm guessing that was 1975 because the 85hp Johnson is a 1975 and it would make sense that he repowered it at that time. I do not remember the original motor at all.

After seeing all the stories here and elsewhere about stringers and transoms, I'm wondering if they did any work on these. The floor and transom are both very solid. In one of the attached pics, you can see the floor and it looks like there are holes drilled for foam . I know there is foam in there because I can pull pieces out through the drain plug. What do you think?

The bait wells have been there as long as I remember. I thought they were factory until I saw pictures of other Seafairs. Now that I'm curious and I've got room in my barn, I'm going to pull the engine and rear well and take a look back there this winter.

I bought the black rub rail and will put in on this winter. I'm kicking myself for not buying the white when it was available, but at least I'll have something. It's really going to change the look of the boat.

I'd like to replace the forward non-skid deck mats while I still have something to use as a pattern. Anybody (Terry) know where I can get the material ? I also wonder why it's left hand drive. Any comments are welcome. The last pic is from 1975-76.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My Granddad's 1959 SeaFair 2 years 5 months ago #145493

Hey. So I wouldn't know anything about the presence of foam within, although it certainly sounds like that may have been done at some point. I'm still wary of flotation foam for my '59 when it comes time to put floors back in. I've read so much about it becoming waterlogged over time and adding tremendous weight to the hull.

As far as the boat having the helm to port, back in 1959 there was no standard yet. Mine has a more traditional Starboard helm. But that makes your boat a little more interesting. Drive stations were set up by selling dealers from what I understand, so you could choose either.

I likewise am very upset about WEFCO discontinuing white rubber. I pretty much refuse to use black. I feel the white rubber is integral to the style and era of the boat. My plan is to use cross sections of originals and work with a company to create the die necessary for the three different rubbers (rubrail, window glass, and forward hatch) and run white stock. Pricey for sure but what the hell. I could get others in on it for a group buy to try and defray some of the cost.

Like you I am stumped about what to use for anti-skid on the foredeck. Mine is shot and countless searches have only turned up small pieces, like for step pads. Perhaps contacting the manufacturer of these materials might yield a large sheet that can be used?

The only question I have about your Seafair is, is the black paint or original gelcoat? I've only seen one other in black and I'm not sure if that was redone as such. In clean shape it really looks incredible, though.

Glad you have the boat still. There must be a great number of happy memories owning your grandfather's boat.

Eric

My Granddad's 1959 SeaFair 2 years 5 months ago #145497

Hello Stripear,
Thanks for showing us your Granddad's Seafair Sedan Gayle Marie.

It’s always great to see these old boats in action.

Grandpa has it but the kids smile says it all as he hauls in the catch.

Looks to be a very original 59. Hope you have the Glasspar data plate that is missing here above the door and do you have the model number which was stamped on that plate?

Good shot of the original helmsman chair which was standard while the passenger chair was an option.

Yeah, somebody custom built those wells and obviously this boat was all about catching fish.

The 59 Seafair had a sealed bilge so foam would have been added at some point. If she was stored dry you may be OK and overall she looks solid in these photos.

The product I used to replace the non-skid pad was Lewmar M-Tec and was purchased through Defender.
They special ordered it from the plant in Scotland UK. Took a couple months to finally get here but was a perfect replacement.

Hey Eric,
Hopefully the Wefco folks wake up and run the white again.

Thanks,
Terry

My Granddad's 1959 SeaFair 2 years 5 months ago #145499

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Some older motors had counter clockwise prop rotation and then started seeing clockwise prop rotation. If you think about only having a driver in a boat, the prop rotation tends to lift one side of the boat slightly which can tilt a boat… so if you place the helm on the lifted side, the driver’s weight can help bring that lifted side back down and level the ride a bit. I am thinking this may be one reason many older boat helms switched sides during this era… I could be completely wrong, but that wouldn’t be the he first time. I am interested in what the weather Xperia say that worked on and/or rigged theses boats. There could be other reasons I would be curious to learn.

Dr.Go!

My Granddad's 1959 SeaFair 2 years 5 months ago #145522

Wonderful pictures and story.

My Granddad's 1959 SeaFair 2 years 5 months ago #145523

Hey DrGo!,

I thought this discussion had come up here before and was able to dig up my slant on it in the archives.

www.fiberglassics.com/forum/main-forum/132789-barn-find-1960-cutter-17.html#141820

Thanks,
Terry

My Granddad's 1959 SeaFair 2 years 5 months ago #145524

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Thanks Terry. I thought the subject had been discussed before. I just don’t have the way back historical knowledge you do and I always love learning more. My 1965 vintage boat has molded in “bubbles” on both starboard and port side dashboard so that either side could be picked for steering and it would look like it was meant to be… this would have also been in the ballpark of when you could find yourself with a motor that could have had a counter clockwise rotation or clockwise rotation. My motor spins clockwise which would give rotational lift to the starboard right side and the dealership in 1965 selected to put the steering on that starboard right side. That’s just my rig. Curious if many counter clockwise prop rotation motors had steering on mostly Port side left or was it just random selection?

Dr.Go!

My Granddad's 1959 SeaFair 2 years 5 months ago #145525

When somebody buys something, they want it the way they want it.

And away we go!
Terry

My Granddad's 1959 SeaFair 2 years 3 months ago #145872

Well, I took the tub out and had a look at the transom. At first I was happy with what I saw, then I start poking around and Oh-no! My knife went all the way through like butter. Not wanting to do that job, I found a guy close by that talked me into using composite. It turned out "Real Nice!" to quote Randy Quaid in Christmas Vacation. Also got a couple good shots of the original splatter finish.

Next up is to replace the rub rail with the black that I got. I'll post pics of that when I get it doe.

My Granddad's 1959 SeaFair 2 years 3 months ago #145879

Well, this what a Seafair looks like with black rubrail. The old stuff just crumbled off. Comments?
Attachments:

My Granddad's 1959 SeaFair 2 years 3 months ago #145880

Hey Scott....I'm so jealous of your nice straight transom. Mine....not so much.

As for the rubrail, I really think you've just solidified my crusade to secure a manufacturer to cut dies for the main rubber extrusions and run them in white. Not saying it looks bad...to most laypersons who don't know about Glasspar they'll likely assume they all look like that and came from the factory that way. But being so used to seeing white, personally I need white. Even if it costs an arm and a leg.

Glad to see you are making some headway! Hope to have the boat on the water next summer?
-Eric
Attachments:

My Granddad's 1959 SeaFair 2 years 3 months ago #145886

I have some rub rail left over if you need a sample. It fits perfectly. If you get someone to make anything in white, let me know. Maybe we can get a couple of folks together and get a decent sized order.

My Granddad's 1959 SeaFair 2 years 3 months ago #145891

I did manage to get a small piece of rubrail from another member (white, no less!) that is in perfect shape, so thanks anyway. What I would need is someone who has leftover for the windows and for the forward hatch seal.
And I would like to try to get a group buy in, not to make profit but to help defray the cost of tooling. I will certainly let you know.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)