I stripped the trailer down last week to the bare frame, tossed the bunks, chains, ALL fasteners, and all rollers. I then had a local sandblasting company blast everything left. So, fenders, brackets, frame, etc, all got blasted.
Then, the fenders, brackets, and winch post were all sanded down by hand to get 'em nice and smooth. Everything was then finished in automotive paint and clear coat with a spray gun in a makeshift paint booth.
Duplicolor Performance Red and Championship White with Duplicolor Clear on top.
Three coats of white on the frame with three coats of clear.
Three coats of red on all the brackets and winch post with three coats of clear.
Four coats of red on the fenders, wet sanded between each coat, with three coats of clear - again, wet sanded between each coat.
All new fasteners, chains, lights, winch, wiring, wheels/tires, rollers, and bunks. Bunks are homemade with pressure-treated 2x4s covered in the same carpet we're using in the cockpit so it matches (soft enough not to wear down the hull coating). Just need to source or have made the Sea King fender decals.
When I was filming the outboard running for the first time in nearly 20 years (earlier post, above), what you don't really see on the video is that I'm having to keep squeezing the primer bulb in the fuel line in order to keep fuel pressurized to the carb so the engine would stay running. Finally had time to address that problem - see below.
And, once that was done, we started on the visual restoration. Still desperately trying to find a tilt handle. May end up 3D printing one, if necessary.
Hiya, folks! Welp...while I recognize a boat project is never truly "done", we're at the stage now where I can say we're at least 98% of the way there. When I look back on the first post of this thread and remember where my head was at with this project and compare to where we are today, I still can't believe we've come this far!
The only things I really have left to do are get the registration decals on the hull (already registered), put a second coat of wax on the topside, and replace the throttle towershaft in the motor which I unfortunately broke yesterday. Once the motor is back up and running, we'll be in the water so, come next Saturday, I should have pictures to post from her first "sea trials" on the lake.
Really appreciate all the advice and tips I've learned from this group along the way. You guys are great with your willingness to share your knowledge and (mostly) reserve judgment. It's appreciated!
Very nice results! I have watched since the beginning… lots to be proud of there. I also really am liking how you used the 2 different colors on the trailer to accent that to match the boat 2 tone. If I ever get around to doing my other little boat trailer, I just might consider stealing that idea if you don’t mind. Now you have to add extra time at the boat launch and anywhere you dock it as you likely will have many questions and admirers… well deserved. Enjoy! The reward is ever so close now.
Dr.Go! wrote: Very nice results! I have watched since the beginning… lots to be proud of there. I also really am liking how you used the 2 different colors on the trailer to accent that to match the boat 2 tone. If I ever get around to doing my other little boat trailer, I just might consider stealing that idea if you don’t mind. Now you have to add extra time at the boat launch and anywhere you dock it as you likely will have many questions and admirers… well deserved. Enjoy! The reward is ever so close now.
Thanks for the compliments! To be fair, I actually modeled the trailer colors off one of the more well-known Sea King advertisement images (below) and also one of the more widely-shared Sea King examples on the internet (also below). I wish these boats - and particularly their motors - were better taken care of by more people over the years. But, alas, we are a throwaway society in every aspect and too few people appreciate the simple joys of times gone by. Not a lot of fiberglassic fans up in my neck of the woods. Old New England money tends to get put towards the wooden classics (with good reason!) so there's just not many of these in this kind of renewed condition around my neck of the woods. Oh, well.
Nice add and additional pictures. The bright side is you have a rare gem in your area and likely won't find dozens like it when you dock, boat, or show. And another bright side is you don't need a massive tow vehicle since you are not even close to the weight of even a small woody... though I love them all. Cheers!
I didn't think it was going to happen so early in the week this week but my throttle towershaft came in the mail today, I got it installed right away and, for the first time in many, many, MANY years...this boat got wet in all the right places! The original (but rebuilt by me) 35 HP Sea King outboard purred like a kitten, the boat trimmed up nicely, and the entire experience left us grinning like little kids at Christmas. Need to fine-tune the motor a bit and adjust the shift linkage but there were no leaks, no structural concerns, and she planed up nicely. So fun!