Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dorsett Catalina window bedding/sealing?

Dorsett Catalina window bedding/sealing? 2 years 9 months ago #144938

Howdy! I just picked up a 1958 Catalina in what seems like decent shape. Going to start going over it after the holiday is over to see what shape it's actually in.
We got a freak rainstorm last night (California doesn't get rain in the summertime but it was raining cats and dogs in the Sierras last night) so I got a chance to crawl around to see how bad the cabin leaks. I'll need to investigate further but it definitely looks like all the windows leak in a few spots. (there's a headliner panel so I couldn't see if it was leaking around some of the rooftop running light or other hardware too, I'm going to assume it all needs new sealant at some point)

What's the current thinking about window bedding in these boats?

I'm hoping to not do a full restoration yet- it seems to be a solid hull that was in use recently. I'm not planning to strip it down to the bones and start over, at least for a couple of years, assuming I don't find major problems next week when I start looking more deeply.

trying to figure out how to attach a picture- it's a weird "NYPD blue" cornflower blue color I haven't really seen in photos of other Catalinas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dorsett Catalina window bedding/sealing? 2 years 9 months ago #144941

I don't know if we do "boat tax" (the rest of the internet does "cat tax" where if you talk about a cat you have to post a photo of the cat). Here's the boat, I can't figure out how to resize pictures so I can upload them as an attachment:

photos.app.goo.gl/TjY75wEPEHLi4wo47

Dorsett Catalina window bedding/sealing? 2 years 9 months ago #144946

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice Dorsett! What year is that? The color might be Dorsett's Tahoe blue.

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com

Dorsett Catalina window bedding/sealing? 2 years 9 months ago #144947

Oh, that's great to hear. I'm actually in the Tahoe area.

I believe this is a 1958, haven't registered it yet.

Dorsett Catalina window bedding/sealing? 2 years 9 months ago #144948

It does look like a '58, and if so, it is a Monterey. The Catalina name began in '59, and has quite a few differences from your boat.

Dorsett Catalina window bedding/sealing? 2 years 9 months ago #144949

I just checked the title and it is indeed a 1958 (I have the serial number but the title doesn't list models beyond the maker itself).

What changed when they made the Catalina model, and did they keep using the Monterey name too?

I'm going to start working on it in the next few days and explore more about what I ended up with. I haven't even measured it to check that it's actually the 16'ish length we think it is

Dorsett Catalina window bedding/sealing? 2 years 9 months ago #144950

Oh one more thing. I saw somewhere on the internet that earlier models of Catalina's didn't do well with larger motors in the rated horsepower range. Do any of you guys have an opinion on what the biggest thing I can put on this is? It has a 65 horse Merc right now but I will eventually be looking for a 4-stroke due to restrictions on the lakes around here. My budget will put me into outboards from about 20 years ago

Dorsett Catalina window bedding/sealing? 2 years 9 months ago #144951

Color looks like it could be Interlux Brightside Medium Blue.
Attachments:

Dorsett Catalina window bedding/sealing? 2 years 9 months ago #144954

thats what i used on the top of mine mfg seacruiser medium blue

Dorsett Catalina window bedding/sealing? 2 years 9 months ago #144957

So back to my question about sealing windows. I think the leak is between the aluminum and the fiberglass, not the aluminum and the acrylic window itself. What compound do you use when installing windows like that?

Dorsett Catalina window bedding/sealing? 2 years 9 months ago #144962

I'd try some clear silicone in a small area to see how it looks first but if it's inconspicuous enough, that should work?

Hello, World!!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9919 guests and one member online