Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to size wire rope and springs for steering?

How to size wire rope and springs for steering? 2 years 10 months ago #144721

• Mr. Asa
  • Mr. Asa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm wrapping up my 1957 Herter's Mark III Runabout restoration. 14 foot fiberglass with aluminum trim, 25HP 1955 Evinrude powering it

I've got all the hardware for it except for the spring for tension. Looking at what I have on my shelf, I have 1/8 stainless wire rope with a plastic sheathing that takes it to 3/16th, and I have 1/16th stainless rope with sheathing that takes it to 1/8th"

Which wire rope should I use for the boat and this type of steering spindle? How do I size the spring and where can I find a stainless version?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to size wire rope and springs for steering? 2 years 10 months ago #144723

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Mr. ASA,

you can one stop shop it all from Joe Poole (sponsor of this site) or you might save a couple of dollars from other vendors but pay more in shipping from multiple vendors. I believe Joe sent me the 3/16" cable, stainless springs, cable clamps, pulleys, stainless footmans loops, etc.
Joe Poole, Jr.
Ferguson-Poole, Inc.
'info' <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
3151 LaVenture Drive
Chamblee, Georgia 30341
(770) 597-5992 Cell

email him and you should get a reply later that day. A tip I was given on this site or elsewhere, see attached. Tape the cable once wound on the steering drum pulley while you're getting it mounted and running the cables to the stern. Tape comes off when all is secured and tension on springs.
Attachments:

How to size wire rope and springs for steering? 2 years 10 months ago #144731

Hello Mr Asa,

Joe can help you for sure but if you want to take a lesson on wire rope look at:

www.mcmaster.com/wire-rope/material~stainless-steel/

Everything you need to know there and more.

I replaced my 50-year-old steering cable and used all the original components.

Found a better than original stainless cable and in red at Mcmaster to match what was original to the boat.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8855 guests and one member online