Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stiff throttle cable...ideas on how to dissassembl

Stiff throttle cable...ideas on how to dissassembl 2 years 11 months ago #144520

Greetings everyone. I have a 1958 Johnson super seahorse 35 which came with the ship master controls. The throttle cable is difficult to move and im afraid i may eventually wear out or break one of the nylon teeth inside the control box if i keep using it. I cant tell how the nylon linear tooth gear is held to the cable but it appears i may need to remove this in order to pull the inner cable out of the sheath, which would allow me to try lubricating the cable. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stiff throttle cable...ideas on how to dissassembl 2 years 11 months ago #144528

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
Pre-'79 OMC control cables, center wire is held in by opposing teeny-weeny Allen-head setscrews. They screw into a steel ferrule with a hole for the center wire; once you loosen both screws, the end falls off and you can deal with the bad control cable.

IDK how much luck you'll have lubing those, maybe it'll work, maybe not. New "old-style" control cables are still available and you'll really appreciate how smooth they are. You may be able to find some really good deals on old stock, on eBay.

HTH........ed

Stiff throttle cable...ideas on how to dissassembl 2 years 11 months ago #144529

another thing to try. Up above this post there are a set of black tabs. Pick on "search"
In the search criteria type in "Simplex" (pretty much the same as shipmaster) Then a little lower down
change the "one year and newer" to "one year and older" then search. There are 6 pages of posts dealing with simplex / shipmaster. Some of the posts have diagrams of the unit. Hope you find what you need ?

Stiff throttle cable...ideas on how to dissassembl 2 years 11 months ago #144539

Thank you Chuck! Great info which i can use. Im almost afraid to remove the end of the cable as im sure the screws flatten the inner wire which may make reinserting them near impossible....but thank you for your reply!

Stiff throttle cable...ideas on how to dissassembl 2 years 11 months ago #144540

I'm like you. Afraid to fix something that's broken. But you have to realize if it already broken, and you try to fix it and break it a little more, it's no big deal because it was already broken ? Then it turns into replace. The knowledge here is amazing to help you through everything. AND there are a lot of folks have spare parts that they may be willing to help you out. I say, take a ton of pictures as you tear it apart. Post pics here, ask questions, and you will get answers. Unless you ask Nautilus ? He'll say "take the egg beater out, and put a Hemi triple supercharged motor in, with a gas pedal and you'll be just fine !

Stiff throttle cable...ideas on how to dissassembl 2 years 11 months ago #144544

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
Here's an informative thread on Simplex/Shipmaster controls & cables at iboats:
forums.iboats.com/threads/shipmaster-simplex-controls.365728/

If you find your cable ends are a bit smashed by the setscrews, you could lay the wire on a hard surface such as a vise, take a ball peen hammer and carefully tap the offending "bulge" back into roundness. Or touch it up with a small grinder, but be careful not to put any nicks in the wire. Overall, it's a pain to try and do anything with these; they were never meant to be serviced. Most times the inner liner is worn out and even with lubrication, too much force is required to move the wire. But hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Worth a try if you're game.

The old-style cables are still obtainable at various sites, you do need to know the length measurement and most of the old ones aren't marked anywhere. So you'll have to measure IAW the recommendations of the mfr from whom you're ordering new cables.

HTH & G'luck.........ed

Stiff throttle cable...ideas on how to dissassembl 2 years 11 months ago #144547

I saw a you tube video on this not to Long ago , it's worth a watch, his channel is nononsenseknowhow

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6570 guests and one member online