TOPIC: Airguide Instrument Co., est. 1930

Airguide Instrument Co., est. 1930 3 years 2 months ago #143899

• Terrydi
  • Terrydi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
Hey All,

Found some interesting info for Airguide Instrument, formerly Fee & Stemwedel.

www.madeinchicagomuseum.com/

Magnify your fun many-fold!

As the article suggests, That’s some acrobatic double-alliteration there.

“Thrilling close-ups add to your pleasure all along your vacation route. Through the clear, precision-ground lenses of your Airguide Glasses, you’re there when scenic splendors beckon from afar."

Alright, I’ll bite, Nice Pair!

As little savages growing up in Chicago we would ride our bikes up to the gates of the Airguide factory. Just past the gate was gold in them thar scrap metal bins. So one guy had to be talked into going in and digging out the discarded dial faces. And I would usually come out with a stack of em.
Man those things really sailed! Just like a frisbee you but you did not want to catch it.

Compass Point lofts are available today. For some reason the building just doesn’t look as big as I remember it.

Thanks,
Terry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Airguide Instrument Co., est. 1930 3 years 2 months ago #143908

Speaking of "Airguide",...I have a pal in search of a vintage Airguide clock that would match other Airguide dash gauges.
I don't have pictures of which Airguide gauges he is trying to match, so if you have an Airguide marine dash clock please post a picture, or send me a PM.
doc

Airguide Instrument Co., est. 1930 3 years 2 months ago #143933

• Terrydi
  • Terrydi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
Hello Doc,

I have a couple of the No. 1245 marine clocks which is the 4 inch flange mount type.

One is on my boat and it will not wind up anymore.

I got this one for a replacement and it winds up nice and ticks for a while but keeps stopping.

I can help your pal out with one or the other of these if this is the type he is looking for and is willing to make a repair.

1960 Airguide catalog

I don’t know of a good way to open these things to check it out. Maybe just needs to be cleaned and lubed.

Took this rough set off a Cruisers Inc that was headed to the burn pile. These covers have lamps which illuminate the gauges.

Also have a decent No. 709 speedo and pickup that I am not using.

Recently acquired this gauge to replace the tach on Mama Mia!

This is a later vintage NOS gauge I got from a friend, but the darn face plate warped.

And I do have another Airguide story.
Years after heisting the place I had a girlfriend who worked in the Airguide office. Nice little blond Polish girl Irena. After work I would pick her up in my 66 Charger for some cruising the way kids did back then. Come Christmastime she gave me an Airguide Compass for the Charger. The suggestion was when it was time to take her home, I always got lost. Ha, I knew where I was going.

Only picture I can find of the Charger which I totaled in a blizzard. I was alone, nobody got hurt, but the Charger was gone along with the Airguide compass.
I had to take the bus then and Irena found somebody else to cruise with. So goes life in the big city

Link to the Airguide article.
www.madeinchicagomuseum.com/single-post/airguide-instrument-co/

I have also messaged you Doc.

Thanks,
Terry

Airguide Instrument Co., est. 1930 3 years 2 months ago #143939

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Great info and loved the story of the Charger. Glad you faired better than the car. Hey - I noticed on that clock face in small print it says 8 day... does that mean when you put it in your boat that you get an extra day on the weekend? On a serious note, please let me know if you have an 80mph Airguide speedo and a 665 tach with module. I missed the 80mph model a year ago and have been looking for 3 years for the 665 tach... I may have to settle for a digital tach so I eventually can prop out my rig when it gets done. Always good info and pictures Terry.

Dr.Go!

Airguide Instrument Co., est. 1930 3 years 2 months ago #143941

Thanks Terry,
I'll contact my pal, and see what he says.
doc

Well rats,...He has completed his dash cluster, and co longer has room for a clock.
He was very gracious that I was able to locate one.
Thanks Terry,

doc

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8078 guests and 3 members online