Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 4 months ago #143756

I have decided to CANCEL the 2021 Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally. Hopefully it will be back in the year 2022.
Andreas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrydi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 4 months ago #143757

Sorry to hear that Andreas, tough decision but you can't be too careful.

Bob

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 4 months ago #143758

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
NOOOOOOOO..... Say it ain't so. Was looking forward to that. 2022 seems so far away.
Sorry to hear that. Is the park under water now?
Take care, have a Merry Christmas and a prosperous new year.
Cal

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 4 months ago #143762

Most of the marina and much of the island was under water all of 2020. Lots of erosion behind the seawalls and ground and asphalt caving in

Andreas

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 3 months ago #143764

Sorry to hear of both the damage to the park and the cancelation. It is sad, but it will be a long road back to something near what we called normal. It sounds like a good decision with all that is happening. It will mean that much more in 2022. Thanks for all you do, Andreas.
Bill

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 3 months ago #143821

It is a pity that the next event is canceled (((From time to time I go here https://2yachts.com/events and only see CANCELED, CANCELED, CANCELED .... I really hope that the situation will improve soon.

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 3 months ago #143835

Hope to see everybody on the island in 2022.

Gives my buddy Scot more time to get his Speed Demon ready to show.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 3 months ago #143842

Hey Terry,
I'll bring the Spotted Cow!! Nice picture of the last Rally. That was the only one where my boat was not in the water. Mine is the one to the left of the red awning - the only one with a black Merc.
See you all in 2022!
Bill

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 3 months ago #143844

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
That was our first time at the show and first time I met you Bill... nice boat! Lots of nice boats and got to chat with some members. I remember some of the people telling me that when they towed their boats under the bridge to the display area that they drove through standing water on that road due to high lake levels... I walked around and it was really high... I saw that water under the bridge and also had to watch where I walked in some places where the grass was saturated. I don’t know what normal water levels were, but it appeared high at the bulkheads. I sure enjoy the show, the drive and even a stop at the winery in Peshtigo. Great day overall with great members! Even got to see Andreas, 63 Sabre, and Mama Mia Terry. Hope it all comes back around!

Dr.Go!

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 3 months ago #143845

The water level got even higher last summer. Much of the paved area and buildings of Nestegg Marine had water in them much of the time.

Andreas

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 3 months ago #143846

I remember in years past having to step on the back of the front seat of my boat to get out, so that was about 3 feet lower than the last Rally. I hope things change for next year and the damage isn't too severe. I know what long term flooding can do to an area, living on the Mississippi. Hey Terry, did you ever tear down your Merc to find your noise?
Bill

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 3 months ago #143850

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sorry to hear that Andreas. I hope water levels balance out a little by 2022. I sure enjoyed going to that show. I was thinking the same thing, Bill. Hopefully one day we will learn of the noise mystery from Terry... though I know life can be busy and always full of ever changing priorities. I had grinding noise in 2 old outboards and each of mine needed serious repairs or I would have blown them up and turned them into unrepairable junk if I kept running mine. Hopefully Terry’s is something less painful.

Dr.Go!

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 3 months ago #143851

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The levels will recede in a few years it's a normal cycle. In the meantime bring your waders to the show. At the expense of sounding like an old guy I've seen these levels change a few times in my lifetime. The world did not end and global warming was not thrown into the mix. Best fix is a floating dock.
Check this link.

www.watershedcouncil.org/current-historic-and-projected.html#:~:text=Lake%20levels%20were%20above%20average%20for%20some%20time,fell%20below%20their%20long-term%20average%20for%2015%20years .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr.Go!

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 3 months ago #143857

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the cool link. Good information.

Dr.Go!

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 3 months ago #143858

Hey All,

What goes up must come down. Let us pray.

2019 report:
www.fiberglassics.com/forum/main-forum/132527-thompson-boat-rally.html

I have not yet performed the exploratory surgery on the Rattler Merc 800. I ran the heck out of it all summer and it ran strong but noisy. Was hoping if it were a carbon issue it would blow out but the rattlin never changed.

That motor was swapped out in the fall before the Geneva Lakes show with the restored Merc 800 I had retrofitted with P/T. But I do plan to open up that old 800, before it's run it again, and see what the heck is going on up in there.

Got out on the Bay on Sunday after the meet but was very choppy so not much fun. River was nice although I got a little nervous when I cruised past a half-submerged park bench that was way too close for comfort.

Saw up close the Navy's littoral combat ships (LCS) under construction at Fincantieri Marine.

fincantierimarinegroup.com/products/navy/littoral-combat-ship/

The shipyard would be interesting to tour in 2022.
And Bill is bringing the beer!

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 3 months ago #143862

I think Andreas would really have to pull some strings to get that tour. But it would be a good one! I will make sure I bring plenty Spotted Cow for you out- of- staters to enjoy!
Bill

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 3 months ago #143867

Marinette Marine does not give tours. Their employees can't even get on the ships unless they have very specific purpose for being there and have clearances. They did give tours at one time. The Thompson Boat Rally toured a ship during an earlier Rally. Maybe one of the Staten Island Ferry boats they built??

Andreas

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 3 months ago #143869

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Understandable. Highly classified spaces on those ships even while being built. Way back in the '60s when I was Navy the areas I worked in were off limits to regular personnel.

Thompson Boat Rally CANCELLED 3 years 3 months ago #143871

Pretty much what I figured. I am surprised we are able to get as close as we do when we go by in our boats. The way things are now days, that is probably a good thing. They are some amazing looking ships-intimidating just to go by let alone see them in action. It is great to see something like that being built in a rural area like Marinette.
Bill

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.614 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)