Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960 Tomahawk Spirit??

1960 Tomahawk Spirit?? 3 years 7 months ago #143243

Having trouble identifying this boat since there does not appear to be a manufacturers nameplate. The tag on the transomdoesn't even say Tomahawk Garage find last registered in 1978. All original and unmolested boat - dash is completely clean. I see where I can measure the length and width to narrow it down, but in reading through the forum, some identify the seat arrangement andthe height of the fin step on the gunnel to narrow things down a bit.

In looking at the Tomahawk literature it seems most boats were white hull with accent color on the deck and fins. This boat is the opposite. Not crazy about the color combo. Motor is a 1961 Mercury 500E based on the serial number.
Is it a sin to change the color to a white (ish) hull and sea foam green or light blue deck and fins? Well, yes, I do know that is a sin, but will it prevent from from entering the pearly gates?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1960 Tomahawk Spirit?? 3 years 7 months ago #143245

Hardly. Getting out of a garage and into the water where it is meant to be ENSURES your entrance into the pearly gates. Seafoam is my favorite color on a vintage boat. I think it would liik great in that and white. Nice find!

1960 Tomahawk Spirit?? 3 years 7 months ago #143246

Thank you for the reply. Motor and boat should be ready next summer. Excited to return this boat to the water where it belongs

1960 Tomahawk Spirit?? 3 years 7 months ago #143251

awesome, she'll be a great project and a lot of fun when your done!

Bob

1960 Tomahawk Spirit?? 3 years 7 months ago #143256

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I think what you have there is a '57 Tomahawk Spirit. I'ver rebuilt two of these and they are a good project, easy to work on and light enough to move around.
Here's a link if you can walk through the minutia.
The pinkish orange color I believe was originally called coral. The pic here is when I had a 135hp Rude on the back.
The white one had a 70hp Rude triple. Easy handeling boats. The white was registered as a '60, the coral was registered as a '57.
Check out the glassic library, a complete article by Andreas and brochure pics.
www.fiberglassics.com/forum/search.html?query=tomahawk&searchuser=63%20sabre&exactname=1&searchdate=all&searchatdate=09/10/2020&childforums=1&catids=2

1960 Tomahawk Spirit?? 3 years 7 months ago #143265

Great information. Thank you for the reply. Will post pics when completed.

1960 Tomahawk Spirit?? 3 years 6 months ago #143333

I recently finished up restoring one myself. Still have some work to do but nevertheless she is a runner. Mine was found to be a 57. If you have the original registration numbers you may be able to take that to your local boat shop and have them look it up. As you can see from my color choice, i might not get into the pearly gates either but she gets a lot of likes on the water!
Attachments:

1960 Tomahawk Spirit?? 8 months 3 weeks ago #148211

Boat finally finished! Ryan at Shipwreck Boat Works in Dresser Wisconsin did a fabulous job. Re gel coated the boat - looks better than new

1960 Tomahawk Spirit?? 8 months 3 weeks ago #148212

pics
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6949 guests and 2 members online